ENGEL 45 vs. new ARB

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I have never used an Engle 45, but I have one of the new ARB units, and I can share what I like and what I believe to be are differences between the two.

Lid: The ARB lid is easy to take completely off, allowing access in vehicle/locations with lower ceiling lines

Temp: The thermometer in the ARB is in the bottom, under the plastic, so it is measuring the temp of the thermal mass inside (the items you are cooling), instead of internal air temp (you food could still be warm, having just been placed inside).

Controls: the controls are on the front, in clear view, and easy to operate

Light: There is an LED light inside the fridge, just bright enough at night to see clearly without calling every bug in the universe to come visit you.

Transport/Tiedown: The ARB has steel handles recessed into the sides that allow easy carrying, and even easier tiedown opportunities.

Cargo design: The interior the ARB is huge, and the basket design is quite clever, allowing multiple configurations for various size and shapes of food containers being stored.

Insulation: Can't prove it, but from photos, the insulation of the ARB looks thicker and more effective.

Rev

Adventurer
I've been using the new ARB all summer and it has been fantastic. The only hitch was, like was just said, the temperature at the bottom is much lower than at the top. I have found that setting it at 2 degrees is a perfect temp, keeping food that should be colder at the bottom.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
One of the things I love about the ARB besides the basic operation (which i assume is similar to all models of "good" fridges).. is the latch and the handles. They are very robust. The grab handles are very strong and make for easy lifting/carrying and tie downs. The latch is one piece, approx 6 inches or so wide, and produces a positve lock that is easy to operate one handed, in the dark, while driving. LOL! I also have the insulating bag, which I highly recommend as well.

texas taco

Adventurer
My friend just received his new ARB fridge. I have an Engel MT 45. The ARBs use a Danfos compressor which consume more electricity. The Engels use a swing motor which is more efficient to run. I really liked the interior basket , trick light on the inside, and the low volt shut off features of the ARB. I like simplistic designs, touch panels ware out to fast for me.. All in all both are good it is just about your preferences.

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
My friend just received his new ARB fridge. I have an Engel MT 45. The ARBs use a Danfos compressor which consume more electricity. The Engels use a swing motor which is more efficient to run. I really liked the interior basket , trick light on the inside, and the low volt shut off features of the ARB. I like simplistic designs, touch panels ware out to fast for me.. All in all both are good it is just about your preferences.

Im not sure where you get your performance figures from ,but 4WD Action in oz has just done another fridge comparo in issue 136 after the last one 4-5 years ago.
There were 7 brands with Engel MT45F being the smallest at 41 litres.
The ARB was the 3rd biggest at 47 litres
The Engel won the cold climate test in an ambient tent of 17c(63F) using 5.20A over 24 hrs and the ARB using 8.52A/24hrs
However the larger ARB did well in the hot climate test of 37c (100F) using 38.97A/24hrs,while the Engel used 45.25A/24hrs.

The Waeco 50 beat both of them in both tests:victory:
3.95A/24hrs at 17c and 38.33A/24hrs 37c

The other benefit to the Danfos compressor is that it widely used through out the world in at least 5 brands of car fridge.
I understand the Sarafuiji swing motor uses less power at start up which is useful when power supply is limited.

The Bushman won the overall title of Best Value for Money fridge.
There wasnt much difference between 1st and last.
Some of the brands have 2-3 models in one size but only one from each brand was tested.
I would have liked them to have tested the Marine Engel

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Im not sure where you get your performance figures from ,but 4WD Action in oz has just done another fridge comparo in issue 136 after the last one 4-5 years ago.
There were 7 brands with Engel MT45F being the smallest at 41 litres.
The ARB was the 3rd biggest at 47 litres
The Engel won the cold climate test in an ambient tent of 17c(63F) using 5.20A over 24 hrs and the ARB using 8.52A/24hrs
However the larger ARB did well in the hot climate test of 37c (100F) using 38.97A/24hrs,while the Engel used 45.25A/24hrs.

The Waeco 50 beat both of them in both tests:victory:
3.95A/24hrs at 17c and 38.33A/24hrs 37c

The other benefit to the Danfos compressor is that it widely used through out the world in at least 5 brands of car fridge.
I understand the Sarafuiji swing motor uses less power at start up which is useful when power supply is limited.

The Bushman won the overall title of Best Value for Money fridge.
There wasnt much difference between 1st and last.
Some of the brands have 2-3 models in one size but only one from each brand was tested.
I would have liked them to have tested the Marine Engel

You forgot to mention that 4WD Action gave the new ARB the winning marks :cool:

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
I missed it the first run through too. I though they had given the Bushman the overall pick but as I read deeper it was the ARB :D

Its a bit strange really,they sort of have 2 x 1st places.
Do you want the best fridge or the best value fridge??:coffee:

Its still is the most informed way to choose though.

After owning 2 fridges Im forming the opinion that if power and thermal efficiency are same or close,then its the shape of the fridge that counts.

I like lots of floor space rather than internal height because you dont have to stack things on top of each other so much.
I think any internal height much taller than a full size bottle is a waste.
Of course this depends on how much space you have in the vehicle.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Its a bit strange really,they sort of have 2 x 1st places.
Do you want the best fridge or the best value fridge??:coffee:

Overland Journal summarizes their reviews in the same manner. They always pick some grossly expensive item as overall best (such as a $700 duffle bag), then for the rest of us pick something decent as "best value".

While I appreciate knowing that there are enough people in the world spending $700 on a simple bag to keep a company in business, reviews of that sort really have no value to me. I greatly appreciate the more practical options.

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
Overland Journal summarizes their reviews in the same manner. They always pick some grossly expensive item as overall best (such as a $700 duffle bag), then for the rest of us pick something decent as "best value".

While I appreciate knowing that there are enough people in the world spending $700 on a simple bag to keep a company in business, reviews of that sort really have no value to me. I greatly appreciate the more practical options.

The cynics amongst us might conclude that the "overall best " in some cases should have been the "biggest advertising revenue provider".:coffeedrink:

Im not suggesting the ARB fridge is not deserving because the power usage and other specs speak for themselves.
But on the front cover of the magazine it does mention a "shock result" as if something else was expected to win/lose:rolleyes:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
The cynics amongst us might conclude that the "overall best " in some cases should have been the "biggest advertising revenue provider".:coffeedrink:

Perhaps with the 4WheelParts magazine, or Peterson's, but I firmly believe what Jonathan Hansen wrote a few issues ago in the Editorial portion of OJ. If I recall correctly, the magazine is funded largely by subscribers, so they have the unique position of only allowing advertizers that serve the overland industry as a service to their readers, as opposed to a revenue for their shareholders. This completely changes the whole dynamic regarding the influence of advertizers. I just wish their reviews included a broader range of testers. I have an enormous respect for the experience, knowledge, skill, and talents of JH, but I am so physicaly and financially different from him as to render most of his reviews merely as entertainment rather than of practical value.

cbradley

Adventurer
I have an enormous respect for the experience, knowledge, skill, and talents of JH, but I am so physicaly and financially different from him as to render most of his reviews merely as entertainment rather than of practical value.

Nathan, since you are more than a foot taller than JH (and most of the rest of us as well), I think you could just double his recommendations, just like doubling a recipe. So for the $700 duffel, you would just need to buy 2. Problem solved :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior