Can anyone ID this Coleman lantern ?

fzsk4p

Adventurer
Dad gave this to me today. Don`t know a lot about Coleman but was hoping someone here might help out. On the base it is stamped 8 53 if that helps any.

Worth using ? Anything to look for ?

Thanks !!
P8190158.jpg

P8190159.jpg

off.track

Adventurer
they don't make them like they used to. get another mantle (burn first till it enxtinguishes then gas it and light it). dump old fuel, replace with fresh. pump and fire. enjoy.

fzsk4p

Adventurer
Corey, think you hit a home run !!

Guessing Coleman fuel of today would be OK to use. Any thoughts on where to get a mantle(s) ?

Thanks guys !!

matt s

Explorer
Standard coleman mantels should work. We have ones just like that one, and even some old kerosene ones. Many of them belonged to my grandfather and I think they are 50 years old or so and work like new. Just plain hard to beat.

Oh yeah, white gas is just fine for them.

obscurotron

Adventurer
Any 'Sporting Goods' type store should have them, i.e. Big 5, Sports Authority, etc. I even see them in the fishing/camping aisles of some larger drug stores (RiteAid/CVS, Longs, etc.) Probably a #21 sock mantle would do the trick. I picked up a lightly used one from '78 as a freebie and other than needing the sheetmetal holder for the globe, it works as well now as it did in 1978. You can't go wrong with their older stuff.

Corey, think you hit a home run !!

Guessing Coleman fuel of today would be OK to use. Any thoughts on where to get a mantle(s) ?

Thanks guys !!

dms1

Explorer
You can go to the Old Town Coleman Center (link Below) and find out more about your lantern and also buy parts and download manuals.

http://www.oldtownyucca.com/coleman/

If you need more information about your lantern - email them - they helped me get parts to a Coleman stove that they did not have listed on their site.

Joanne

Adventurer
Dad gave this to me today. Don`t know a lot about Coleman but was hoping someone here might help out. On the base it is stamped 8 53 if that helps any.

Worth using ? Anything to look for ?

Thanks !!
P8190158.jpg

P8190159.jpg

The 8 53 is the month and year of manufacture. So it was made in August of 1953.

There should be a number stamped on the font (the tank) that gives the model number. It's probably beneath the valve. It looks like a 220E but I'm not "up" on the subtle differences between the various models.

Here's a resource for you. They love old lanterns and stoves. A few guys are doing beautiful restorations.
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=49

Yours looks like it's in great condition! Parts should be no problem to find if you find you need something like a new regulator. With a bit of cleaning and a "tune up", you can have a beautiful and useful reminder of your family's camping heritage.

I have a 228E "Big Hat" that I camp with.

228h_01.jpg

Hope this helps!

Joanne

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94