San Diego East County Run....In Honor of Agent Rosas

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date
S

Scenic WonderRunner

It was an awesome day!

Thanks everyone for joining in the fun. And thanks for the donations for Mrs. Rosas and children!

Five trucks joined in
2009_0912EastCountyforBPRosas0120.jpg

Everyone enjoyed the views!
2009_0912EastCountyforBPRosas0020.jpg

Even the San Diego Crew.
2009_0912EastCountyforBPRosas0013.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackX

Adventurer
Take a deep breath, suck it in and a FS could make it (probably) :sombrero:

Going up to Elliot Mine I recall one tight spot and one tight turn.

freshspecbluegt

Adventurer
Boulders good, dropoffs BAD! Could a FS fit on it or would it have been too close?

I think my Land Cruiser was the widest of the bunch (I think factory specs have total width at 76") I picked up a little pin striping and had to do a three point turn on the way up to Elliott Mine but I never felt like the trail was too tight anywhere.

Ross

S

Scenic WonderRunner

At the end of the day, it was fun to be able to take a special personal tour of the BP Facility with my son.

2009_0912EastCountyforBPRosas0224.jpg

Thank You "rmarz"!

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Here is Derrick.....Levitating above the awesome Zam15...!

2009_0912EastCountyforBPRosas0131.jpg

How does he do that?:costumed-smiley-007

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I know that SWR is very law-abiding and that he filled out the appropriate paperwork when he re-entered the U.S. :sombrero:
PICT5177.jpg

Great report and pictures. Wish I could have been there.

rmarz

Adventurer
I know that SWR is very law-abiding and that he filled out the appropriate paperwork when he re-entered the U.S. :sombrero:
PICT5177.jpg

Great report and pictures. Wish I could have been there.

Teotwaki,
No worries the SWR and Mark were WELL within the setback. :)

Peter Goin
In 1907, by Proclamation of President Roosevelt, all federal lands in California, Arizona, and New Mexico within 60 feet of the border line were set apart as a public reservation. Although this frontier is occasionally usurped by ranchers and farmers or for urban development, it represents the formal establishment of a "no-man's land" along the entire length of the Mexican-American border. In principle, this zone provides easy access for monument maintenance; in areas like this near Tecate, it also provides a convienent and expanded fire break. The view is looking east toward Monument No. 244., 1985-87
toned gelatin silver contact print, 9 5/8 x 12 1/2"
http://americanart.si.edu/helios/cng/obgoinp02.html

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Thanks Richard,

I remember you told me this long ago (that's why I was not concerned to be standing there. I would just tell them Richard told me it was OK!....hehe). I didn't mention this on the trip. I really had no way to explain it while in the outback. I figured it would come up later.

It Is very interesting.

Look over my current pics and see how degraded this fence now is. You can drive right through in this wash.

2009_0912EastCountyforBPRosas0047.jpg

Same wash, see fence post.
2009_0912EastCountyforBPRosas0046.jpg

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Mark,
I 'm thinking that its the fact that you keep calling it a "border fence" that's giving you these incongruity issues. :coffee:

Thanks Richard,

I remember you told me this long ago (that's why I was not concerned to be standing there. I would just tell them Richard told me it was OK!....hehe). I didn't mention this on the trip. I really had no way to explain it while in the outback. I figured it would come up later.

It Is very interesting.

Look over my current pics and see how degraded this fence now is. You can drive right through in this wash.

2009_0912EastCountyforBPRosas0047.jpg

Same wash, see fence post.
2009_0912EastCountyforBPRosas0046.jpg

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I have no idea what you are talking about Brian.

But I would certainly love to take you there one day!

Chips~N~Salsa on da Border.:sombrero:

Now just where is my Chips~N~Salsa Smilie when I need him>?!!

2009_0912EastCountyforBPRosas0033.jpg

rmarz

Adventurer
The barbed wire fence Mark is standing near is referred to as the Roosevelt Line and is sixty feet north of the actual border as surveyed by that particular survey crew. I have also heard it referred to as the “ functional equivalent of the border”. Perspective depending on where you ’stand’ I suppose.

I have some pictures of that same wash that are from about ten years ago! The entire fence is there. The vehicles that took it out crashed about halfway between the fence and Nopal and were left in the ravine for several months, I will look for those pictures as well as they were on the internet at the time.

It looks like a great trip, I am sorry I missed the offroad portion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles