Vehicle Expedition Stove

I have a 25-year old Century 2-burner with the stainless deck under the burners. It has worked well for us. But...don't forget the portable propane BBQ...my Weber has been chugging along and always does a great job. :chef:

450 DUDE

Adventurer
I run the trusty coleman , nothing special but it works.
I use a 10# composite LPG tank that gets stored in the roof top box and like others have said I usally bring a back up throw away canister. The stand comes apart and stores in a drawer.

Attachments

• DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 108

HeftySmurf

Observer
I run the trusty coleman , nothing special but it works.
I use a 10# composite LPG tank that gets stored in the roof top box and like others have said I usally bring a back up throw away canister. The stand comes apart and stores in a drawer.

That looks like what I need.... where did you get the tank? And did the tank sleeve come with it?

Thanks for all the input!!

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I used to use a Coleman 2 burner propane stove. It was a later, cheaper stove and it fell a little short of living to be 20 years old. Even Coleman's quality has gone down the tube. I now use a Camp Chef when a large stove is called for.

For just the two of us we tend to take a pair of Jet-Boils. They are a fantastic stove. My GF really likes them, so those get used when she is along. I'm not so fond of their fuel bottle size or the refuse generated in using them.

When going solo I take my single burner Coleman propane stove. It is intended to fit on a large disposable propane bottle fitted into a plastic base, which makes it somewhat top heavy and awkward. I built a base for it that sits substantially lower, and uses a remote bottle on a hose or if I've brought the propane lantern & stand then I use the 20# tank.

I'll second taking a spare, and possibly even a back-up to the spare, if going with the disposable bottles.

450 DUDE

Adventurer
That looks like what I need.... where did you get the tank? And did the tank sleeve come with it?

Thanks for all the input!!

I ordered it online from some boating place ( I will do some digging )
Yes the "sleeve" is part of the tank gives it some protection.
Its been great its a 2 piece unit there are one piece tanks out there for a little more money.

ken

HeftySmurf

Observer
:victory:After a search, phone calls and a motivated pair of retires... I have successfully found two 10lbs propane tanks. I'm visiting my dad in Austin and had to travel south to Camping World. After getting back to my dads place we have decided to make a custom mount for the two tanks on the left side cubby space. I'll post photos once it's done along with photos of the baja roof rack and rtt I'll be picking up in dallas next week. Thanks again for all the help and directions in getting Hefty set up for some good off road traveling.
:ylsmoke:

saburai

Explorer
bike rack?

Sorry for the hi-jack!

Corry, what bike back do you have on the hitch? Does it completly clear the spare tire?

I use an old Sears Hillery I bought back in the mid 90s.
Same as a Coleman and some of the other clones, and it has the pizeo starter on it for the burners.

This year I got the conversion hose to run a small 5 lb tank I have had for years.
No more carrying extra 1 lb bottles except for teh Zodi shower and the lantern.

I carry the stove and other stuff in those Action Packer containers, and it fills up the FJ very fast, as I have the ARB fridge back there too.

8.jpg

20.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior