Drawer Slides

Strizzo

Explorer
I am in the process of planning a sleeping platform/storage setup for my 96 nissan hardbody.

what weight rating drawer slides did you use? my plan is to have two drawers at the rear that will be about 10" x 26D" x 24W". drawerslides.com has accuride slides rated up to 500lbs which i think would be overkill, but nice to know they're available at least. i was thinking something in the 90-120lbs range would be more than adequate for storing recovery gear, camp stove, extra crap i probably don't need, etc.

so, what say you?

PS here's the truck in question:
IMG_6047_small.JPG

edit: holy crap thats huge, resizing

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I bought 400lb slides for my trailer kitchen, but they're 48" long. I think an important part of the question is how long your slides are, because it seems like the standards for rating slides is always based on 18" slide. ie: The slides that I bought are from a series that they say are "rated for 400lbs, based on the 18" slide". The implication is, anything longer than 18" will need to be de-rated, but they don't provide that derating. I haven't figured that part out yet.

Strizzo

Explorer
The drawers will only be about 26" long, with a slide of probably the same amount, so i won't be too far from the 18" "standard" rating.

how large are the drawers and what did you put in them that you need 200ish lbs of rating for?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
It's a kitchen slide that will hold a stove with oven (Camp Chef knock-off) and a cooler or eventually a large freezer/fridge. That could be 100lbs easy right there.

Mostly, it's because I needed 48" length, and that was the only model I found.

THATSALEXUS?

Adventurer
One thing you need to keep in mind is that drawer slides are rated for fixed installations. Using them in a vehicle reduces their rating to about 2/3. That's why some drawer slides are rated both ways.

I have seen more than my share of 100ish pound slides fail over time. They are made of much thinner sheet metal and the constant pounding eventually stretches them open and then the bearings fall out or bind up.

A 500 lb slide may be overkill but I think that with a 100 lb slide, you're just asking for trouble.

Strizzo

Explorer
thanks, i noticed that on the 500lb slide, it gets downrated to 300 or so lbs in a mobile use.

thanks for all the help guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles