Its our turn for the Pan-Am

LateNate

Adventurer
One of many that will be coming from Anchorage.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rG0poKm3N8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rG0poKm3N8[/ame]

Terrainist

Explorer
Comical mechanical bull montage, good thing the operator was merciful. A young man's game. The camper from about 4:00 to 4:30, what kind? Happy trails, be safe.

LateNate

Adventurer
It appears that you were kicking it inside a camper, or a van, something. Wondered what it was.

Oh, ok. Yea it was happy hour in the FN' Camper. Thats our "Stumble Inn." It was made by Shamrock originally for hunting dogs. Fitting. I think they are out of business now.

Terrainist

Explorer
******, that's the FN? Thanks, had to look at that again. The fish eye effect makes it look cavernous, and there is a table off the wall now. If you get a chance, post a pic sometime of how the interior has evolved as it has been used. Alaska looks like a good time as well.

LateNate

Adventurer
******, that's the FN? Thanks, had to look at that again. The fish eye effect makes it look cavernous, and there is a table off the wall now. If you get a chance, post a pic sometime of how the interior has evolved as it has been used. Alaska looks like a good time as well.

Will do. Alaska has been a good time.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Looks like you guys are taking it slow, and that is cool. Slow lets you do all the cool things you are getting to do!

Enjoying your trip reports. Great job on all of it from planning to going to reporting!

Not sure if you will make it to Panama by April at your pace but if you do come see me in Santa Catalina. Surf breaks and cold beers await!

ellyka112

Yesterday we finished removing all the decals and stickers off of the camper. We bought about 20 spray paint cans at 97 cents each to paint it black. Also some clear coat to put over it. Will post the pics when i can.

I would like to hear more about your route, skill sets, who all is going and such. It might be that many of the folks who have done this trip before can be of help.
You might want to look for a book called Americas Overland by the Greenes (they post here). It covers Central America well.

Terrainist

Explorer
Check the bottom of LateNate's sig line for a link to their website. It has some of the info you have requested.

F&N - meandering your way around the world, as RMP&O said, totally cool way to do it. Was looking at your camper again, has a lift door too. Nice. I'm assuming that is a wood frame camper? Thanks for the trip updates.

LateNate

Adventurer
Looks like you guys are taking it slow, and that is cool. Slow lets you do all the cool things you are getting to do!

Enjoying your trip reports. Great job on all of it from planning to going to reporting!

Not sure if you will make it to Panama by April at your pace but if you do come see me in Santa Catalina. Surf breaks and cold beers await!

Yea, we didn't really plan on how slow or fast to do the trip in. We had some dates in mind on places we wanted to be, but we are like two or three months behind schedule anyway. So time doesn't really matter anymore.

Thanks for the compliments. We "might" be down there by April. Who knows.

LateNate

Adventurer
Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada.

The Alaskan highway from here to Tok was an ice road. We took it slow, 45-50mph tops, but it was beautiful the whole way.

LateNate

Adventurer
Skagway, Alaska.

Our Thanksgiving in Canada was uneventful but what do you expect. We did fortunately meet some great people while we were there.

Thanksgiving day I decided to do a bit of skiing and then off to the bar we went later that night. I ended up meet a couple and their friend there. They had been working in Whitehorse for some time and one of them was going to be headed back home. She was headed out of Skagway and I said that we were headed there too. She ended up inviting us to breakfast and that turned into dinner and we ended up staying with them a few days. It was nice. We visited the Hot Springs outside of the city and did a little magic carpet riding down a hill.

We left today and arrived earlier this afternoon. On the way here going over Thompson Pass it was snowing a quite a bit. The roads were covered in 3 to 4 inches of snow so we weren't going any where fast. We let a small car pass us and watched as a couple of minutes later they swerved off the road. Luckily no one was hurt, but they were stuck pretty well. I got the shovel out and dug them out enough were they could back up. They ended up inviting us over and letting us crash at their place, even feeding us!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles