Its our turn for the Pan-Am

93BLAZER

Explorer
When do you plan to leave?

There is a great festival in Boquete, Panama in early January. It's called the cafe and flower fair (Fiesta el Las Flores y El Café).

In January in Sincejo, Colombia. You HAVE to go to the bullfights. It's about a week long event.

LateNate

Adventurer
When do you plan to leave?

There is a great festival in Boquete, Panama in early January. It's called the cafe and flower fair (Fiesta el Las Flores y El Café).

In January in Sincejo, Colombia. You HAVE to go to the bullfights. It's about a week long event.

We plan on leaving at the beginning of June heading towards Alaska. Thanks for the info on the festivals. Those sound right up our alley.

LilKJ

Adventurer
. Also do you think they realy would rip the truck apart if they see that hookah. We don't use it for anything illegal. Most of the time it will be stored in a bag until we are parked and can set it up. I believe you, but man! We don't need that trouble.

Yes... they will search you if they see the hookah. You'll probably have to do a VERY good job of explaining exactly what you use if for as well. It seems to be one of those things that, unless it's THAT important to you, would be better left at home.

Also, regarding the dust... there's a "magic setup" that people with the alaska campers use to keep dust out. I don't recall what the exact combination of window's/vents that are supposed to be open and closed when driving to maintain positive pressure... it's in one of my books and I'll post up if I find it (unless someone else knows)

LateNate

Adventurer
Update

So the website is getting updated soon and there will be more pictures of previous events. www.fnexpeditions.com

Freddy has also been working very hard on the camper. I will get more pics of it up soon. He has installed sliding drawers, hanging shelves and has sewn custom curtains. I think it looks pretty good. I have also acquired a Thule roof box. So that will help with gear storage. The truck is in the shop right now getting the electric work done to it. We are having a vent fan, spare battery and inverter installed for charging things such as cameras and laptops. I would have liked to do the work myself, but since i am not good with electrical stuff and I don't want the thing to catch fire I left it up to the professionals.

We are also trying to get a hold of and maybe work for a none profit organization called Sustainable Harvest.

The Red Bull Flutaug is going to be in LA in August. I think we would like to make it there also.

LateNate

Adventurer
New Goodies

Alright! We got the truck back with a few more goodies on it for us. As you can see we installed a vent fan, solar panel, new curtains, drawers, folding table, overhead shelves, auxiliary battery, and inverter. I think it is coming together well. Its looking good.:D:D:
P1270012.jpg
[/IMG]
P1270010.jpg
[/IMG]
P1270009.jpg
[/IMG]
P1270008.jpg
[/IMG]
P1270007.jpg
[/IMG]
P1270006.jpg
[/IMG]
P1270004.jpg
[/IMG]

Also do you think they realy would rip the truck apart if they see that hookah. We don't use it for anything illegal. Most of the time it will be stored in a bag until we are parked and can set it up. I believe you, but man! We don't need that trouble.

I can go so far as to say that I GUARANTEE you will get the "tip to tip" search, if you know what I mean....and I am not talking about some third world Latin American border crossing (you can count on that too), but I have had my ENTIRE vehicle tossed for much, much less than that.

Entering Canada in New Brunswick, I had my Jeep run THOROUGHLY over just becuase I had Texas plates on... (the customs guy told me that was the 'flag'...after much, much, much discussion).

Now, think about this... that was at a friendly border crossing, dealing with Canadian customs folks.. who share a culture and a language with me... with the worst possible outcome being that I was denied entry into Canada... multiply that by factors of distant geography, language, culture and more severe and arbitrary penalties...

... leave the Hookah at home... in fact, I saw that you changed curtains.. but trust me.. don't even wear a cammo hat... it just makes for potential problems that you really, really, really... don't want...

LateNate

Adventurer
Thanks for all the info about the hookah guys. How about the truck though. I have a lot of pics up. How does it look? We are about two months out from the trip. I'm getting very excited!:wings:

LateNate

Adventurer
I can go so far as to say that I GUARANTEE you will get the "tip to tip" search, if you know what I mean....and I am not talking about some third world Latin American border crossing (you can count on that too), but I have had my ENTIRE vehicle tossed for much, much less than that.

Entering Canada in New Brunswick, I had my Jeep run THOROUGHLY over just becuase I had Texas plates on... (the customs guy told me that was the 'flag'...after much, much, much discussion).

Now, think about this... that was at a friendly border crossing, dealing with Canadian customs folks.. who share a culture and a language with me... with the worst possible outcome being that I was denied entry into Canada... multiply that by factors of distant geography, language, culture and more severe and arbitrary penalties.

... leave the Hookah at home... in fact, I saw that you changed curtains.. but trust me.. don't even wear a cammo hat... it just makes for potential problems that you really, really, really... don't want...

Thanks for you support by buying a t-shirt man! Did you get my e-mail?

LateNate

Adventurer
54 days and counting!:wings: I just bought a jerry can and some extenable legs for the camper. Will show you the pics once i get them on.

LateNate

Adventurer
We've got a few more additions to the fn camper up. Here they are for your viewing pleasure.
P1010001-1.jpg
[/IMG]
P1010002.jpg
[/IMG]
P1010003.jpg
[/IMG]
P1010004.jpg
[/IMG]

LateNate

Adventurer
Looking good man. How long until you hit the road? Hope to cross paths with you at some point.
Well the date was at the end of the month, but I just had my meniscus repaired yesterday. So that might push the leave time to the 1st or second week of June. I had to get it taken care of before I left.

LateNate

Adventurer
Pushed back again!

The surgery had some complications. The trip is being pushed back more. My knee feels great, but I got a blood clot in my calf from it. Its a common thing to have happen after surgery. My current job I am in will not let me leave until I get the medical situation taken care of. So the trip is on hold.:( We are still planning on doing it so don't give up on us yet. Freddy is still making additions to the camper and we just have more time to get organized now. I just hope it doesn't push us back so far that we are heading north come fall. We might have to ship the vehicle first to S.A. and then drive north if that is the case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles