Question for the EMT's

Youngunner

Adventurer
The NR tests are not that bad. i just took the Paramedic back in May. Just study your material. I found it helpful to re-write the national registry skill sheets in my own list form. Remember the critical fails. For the written, read all the answers and the complete question. Work through them logically. Scene safety, c spine, ABCs are important.

As far as your clinicals go, just ask what they expect. We have a lot of students come through our ambulance department. You can do as much as you want up to your skill level. If you aren't comfortable with something, tell them so. Oh, don't make up blood pressures if you can't hear them, that takes practice in the moving ambulance, just say you can't get it!

Good luck!

jh504

Explorer
Wow thanks for all the input!
From what the instructors are telling us is the NR is required to work as a EMT in Arizona, They said that after the class is done I have up to 2 years to take the test and I basicly get nothing certifying me as EMT unless I pass the NR.
I am going to Central Arizona CC, I like the class and the teachers make it interesting. I have to do two 8 hour clinicals, so far the ER's I can go to are Gilbert, Eloy, and Tucson and I can do 1 of the clinicals at a fire dept. in Gaudalupe or 2 other small town depts., sign up for clinicals is September 14, I'm kinda nervous because I don't know what will be expected of me.

...BSI and scene safety....that is drilled into my head lol

Wow, the national registry is required to to be state certified? Well anyhow, good luck with your class and testing. Clinicals will be fun, dont sweat it!

OneTime

Adventurer
Take computer based pratice exams. There are some good ones online. You may have to pay a small fee. If I recall right I payed twenty dollars for access to the site for a month. You can go online and set up your tests, by topics trauma, cardiology, pharm, OB etc.. You need to get in the habit of taking computer based tests. They are much different than old school written pen and paper tests. You can not skip a question and come back to it later. Nor can you review your answers. Once you have selected an answer the computer moves on and there is no going back

Also a few others things. The test is a national test and is set up along the basis of a rural emt. There maybe questions on the test that do not apply to how things are done in you area, or you may come accross terms that you have never heard of. Different areas in the country do things different ways and may have different names for equipement etc.

The test is a smart test. You need to get a certain score. I think the questions are rated on a scale of 10 to 5. Ten being more difficult and worth more points. If you get more of the harder questions answered you can pass sooner. The test will shut of when you have reached the necessary score. The test may start you off with a 7 question. If you get it right it moves on to a 8 or higher. If you get the next question wrong it drops down to a less difficult question. The goal is to hover at about 7's. If suddenly the test shuts off and you know you got the last question right, thats a good sign. Adversley it can also shut you off if your score is so low, even if you got all the remaining questions right, you could not pass.

From what I remember there always seemed to be two right answers to each question. You have to pick the "most right" I recall always wanting more info then the question provided.

The online practise tests are well worth the cost!!!!! Do a google search for NRT practise tests

jh504

Explorer
I think you'll find that the majority of states are now using the National Registry exam as the basis for their credentialing of EMTs. North Carolina is one of the few states that don't use it.

North Carolina will probably be there shortly. We are having update everything to the national standard this year anyway. I understand the basis for nationalizing everything, but I am always hesitant with any type of national requirement over state requirement. The mindset is more political than medical. Hopefully it will work out for the best.

93BLAZER

Explorer
The NR EMT test is not that bad at all. Just long. If you pay attention and ace the actual EMT class... you'll be just fine. Remember the basics and TAKE IT RIGHT AFTER YOU FINISH YOUR CLASS! Dont wait and take it months down the road.

Not to brag, but I did fine in the EMT class, didn't study for the NR test and passed with an 80 something. They don't print your score on your card.

If I remember, you have three chances at the test.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles