Question for the EMT's

roamingaz

Explorer
I am in my second week of EMT school and so far not too bad, just a lot of stuff to remember about the anatomy. I will finish school in December and then take the national registry test. The instructors are trying to make the test seem like a impossable goal , so for those that have taken it what should I focus my studying on?
What can I expect from the clinicals I have to do?
I enrolled in the class mainly for just my own knowledge and I wasn't planning on taking the national test but I realy like this stuff and now I want to pass the registry to get certified and maybe work part time on a ambulance.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Study the materials and take a practice NR test or two. There will be some things on the NR test that'll leave you wondering...did we ever go over that in class? Other questions will give you two perfectly good answers....just try and think like the NR test folk, and the practice tests will help, but don't worry yourself sick or anything, especially if you're doing mostly for your own knowledge (I did the EMT thing for the same reasons).

Keeping NR is nice if you plan on working as an EMT in another state, but Arizona does not require it to work in the state (although I can't remember if that's after passing the NR test the first time....)

I let my NR lapse, simply because I didn't have the opportunity to do the CME (continuing medical education) hours on top of the continuing ed hours I have to do for the state bar....

-H-

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Listen to your instructor.
They have seen students pass and fail. Usually they will try their best to emphasize what they can remember others having problems with.
Study every chance you get and appologize to your loved ones for the lack of attention you give them during this time. you really have to focus everything on this task. Don't rely on others or group studies. It is all on your shoulders.
You can do it.

Rigged

Observer
The instructors are trying to make the test seem like a impossable goal , so for those that have taken it what should I focus my studying on?

Which part are they saying is impossible the written or the practical? For me the written was harder then the practical by far. Most of the people in my class thought the opposite.

I focused almost all my attention on the written exam. Basically just studying everything we covered in the book. I'm not sure how your class is setup though.

Kyle

redbeard

Adventurer
I'd just do the practice exams a few times. You might even see some questions repeated. It used to be (10 years ago) that the questions on the CO state exam were confusing, much like the written drivers test at the dmv. At least for the CO state exam they are much clearer. I've since let my cert elapse, as I was not working in that field anymore.

Oh, and get some sleep the night before the exams.

BriansFJ

Adventurer
The NR test is not impossible, but you do have to study. When I took my initial EMT at a local community college, we started off with something like 30 people in the class, and by the end through attrition we only had about 12-15. Not everyone passed the NR test, but those who studied and concentrated did fine...;)

jh504

Explorer
Why do you want to take the NR exam? If you pass the state test you should be fine to work in your state for a service. Do you want to take it so you can practice your EMT skills when in another state? I wouldnt worry about it if that was the reason. Most BLS skills can be practiced by a civilian almost anywhere without really worrying about any repercussions. When you start getting into ALS procedures that is were it has to stop at state lines, even with a NR certification. Then it is different in backcountry situations also.

I personally have never taken a national registry test, so I cant give you much help on the studying topic.

(EDIT) And by the way this is addicting. I took the EMT course for my own knowledge as well. After I was done I went to work part-time for an ambulance service. Now I am working full-time for county EMS and 8 months into a paramedic course. Get ready to be hooked.

Last edited:

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
(EDIT) And by the way this is addicting. I took the EMT course for my own knowledge as well. After I was done I went to work part-time for an ambulance service. Now I am working full-time for county EMS and 8 months into a paramedic course. Get ready to be hooked.

LOL. The Boy Scouts First Aid Merit Badge -- Gateway drug to a medical career.....

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
If I do any additional training....I'm just gonna go to med school....what's another $100K in loans now that the first one is paid off.....:coffeedrink:

-H-

logos

Observer
The national registry exam is tough and you should plan on studying an extra 10-20 hours before taking it. I thought the written exam was harder than the practicals. I would read the textbook carefully, review notes, take practice exams, and remember to try and think like an EMT.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Where are you taking the classes at? I'm assuming one of the community colleges? I took mine at PC and you pretty much have no choice but to take the NREMT. They just do both at once, I think because 99% of the people in those classes are trying to get on at Phoenix Fire and that is what they require. If it is the same where you are you may as well just do both, its not going to hurt and you know that if you ever move to another state you are already covered...plus it looks good on the resume.

I found the written test to be much harder than the practical but I'm a visual learner so doing the hands-on things were always much easier for me to remember.

I also assume you just have to do 8 hours in an ER for your clinical? Guess it depends on what hospital you go to and what shift you sign up for. I did the late late shift because at the time I was working days and taking that class in the evenings so thats all I had time for...nothing too exciting happened really, but I imagine during the day its pretty busy.

Saline

Adventurer
I agree with John E. Don't overthink your answers. Remember the basics, ABC's etc. Go with the safest answer in regards to life threats. I didn't think the Nat. registry test was that hard in my opinion. Just make sure you study!
A word of advice on the practical exams. When doing your medical/trauma assesments get into the habit of going through the assesment in the same order every time. Don't bounce around or tell yourself , "I'll come back to that." Because you won't, you'll forget. Find out what order works for you and stick with it.
I let my NREMT lapse when I lived in Oregon for two reasons 1) I became an EMT Intermediate and thought I would no longer need the Basic. 2) I wasn't going to leave Oregon.
Fast forward:bad choice on not renewing
I moved to Colorado to take another FF job and had to re-test at the Basic level since I didn't have Nat'l registry. Kinda nerve racking when I was going through the fire academy knowing that if I didn't pass the CO EMT exam I would be out of a job.
You never know where you might end up!
Good luck!

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
I know in a growing number of states the National Registry exam is being used as an initial certifying exam. This is not what it was intended for and is a poor substitute IMO.

As to what we tell our students to study is Airway, Airway, Airway. Invest in a copy of "EMT Achieve". We also mention the oddball questions we here about. Deffinbachia (sp) being a poisonous house plant. Where are guide dogs NOT allowed to go? The Zoo. What is the diameter of the fitting for a BVM? 15/22 of an inch. Hope this helps and good luck.

roamingaz

Explorer
Wow thanks for all the input!
From what the instructors are telling us is the NR is required to work as a EMT in Arizona, They said that after the class is done I have up to 2 years to take the test and I basicly get nothing certifying me as EMT unless I pass the NR.
I am going to Central Arizona CC, I like the class and the teachers make it interesting. I have to do two 8 hour clinicals, so far the ER's I can go to are Gilbert, Eloy, and Tucson and I can do 1 of the clinicals at a fire dept. in Gaudalupe or 2 other small town depts., sign up for clinicals is September 14, I'm kinda nervous because I don't know what will be expected of me.

...BSI and scene safety....that is drilled into my head lol

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I went to EMT school 10 years ago, like you, because I wanted to learn this stuff. I figured the knowledge might come in handy, too, given where we practice our "hobby".

I passed the NR test first time, but have unfortunately let it lapse. But I still have the knowledge.

The test wasn't that difficult - you do need to study. Don't worry over it, and get a good night's sleep the night before. I was nervous for the practical, but it turns out, I didn't need to be. Just do what you practice in class.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles