Super siphons

CodyB

Observer
Has anyone noticed a difference using the super siphons in fuel cans with a vent and those fuel cans without a vent? I would be curious to read about any experiences with the super siphons. Thanks.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I've used the super siphon in my Wedco Carb compliant, non-Carb compliant, and Scepter cans. Never noticed a difference in speed or performance. The mouth on all of these cans is large enough that they vent plenty.

WASURF63

Adventurer
I have dual Scepter fuel cans mounted to my roof rack that I use in conjunction with a Super Siphon. The siphon will empty all but approx.
1 cup of fuel. Not too bad...

pray4surf

Explorer
I have dual Scepter fuel cans mounted to my roof rack that I use in conjunction with a Super Siphon. The siphon will empty all but approx.
1 cup of fuel. Not too bad...

That one cup is impressive - My first attempts left over a gallon in each can. I guess if takes some practice to become proficient.

Does anyone store the siphon hose coiled up like I do? I found that after uncoiling the hose, it still retained quite a bit of curvature. This made it difficult for me to determine where the suction end of the hose was in relation to the bottom of the fuel can.

To combat this, I found a piece of 3/4"ID EMT conduit (approx 18"L) slips nicely over the hose and can stiffen the siphon hose allowing me to better control that initiating of the siphon action and its placement in the fuel can...

I don't know if EMT conduit is good or bad for gasoline, or if I'd be better off with plastic (PVC/ABS)? Though my first thought was a spring that could slip over the hose - like used to prevent kinking in garden hoses, etal...

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I zip tie my super siphon to a hanger that I have straightened out. Gets most all of the gas out of the can. Anything straight that you can zip tie or hose clamp to should work. I like the hanger becuase it's small and light and easily stashed.

pray4surf

Explorer
Fergie - Figured I couldn't have been the first to find a solution - and I guess I didn't search thoroughly enough - but that's no excuse :sombrero: Great minds think alike????

Cabrito - nice alternative.. Plus you can use the coathanger wire to unlock you vehicle if you ever lock your keys in it (assuming the coathanger isn't in the vehicle also) :D

Hillbillyjake - thanks for the 'heads up' on the galvanized pipe. I will look for an alternative. I haven't begun to use my pipe stiffener and just happened to have a short length of EMT laying around.

I was also thinking that something like this would work
Anti-Kink Garden Hose Insert
Though I would prefer an external item, rather than an insert. I'll give Google a try using 'coil spring' and see what turns up

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Surf, I'm thinking the coat hanger is a better idea. I have to manuever the end of the hose clamp very carefully, both in and out of the can to make it fit.

JRhetts

Adventurer
How about putting the hose clamp on the top (outside) end of the PVC? Then no issue of it hanging up and/or gouging the coating on the inside of the can.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
How about putting the hose clamp on the top (outside) end of the PVC? Then no issue of it hanging up and/or gouging the coating on the inside of the can.
That is what I ended up doing on the last trip, worked just fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz