Homemade awning... material?

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I'm about to extend the length of my Wilderness rack and figure now is the time to pick up extra tubing for a side deployed awning. I have a modified Hannibal design in mind.

One thing i noted in searching the Hannibal is the pooling of water in rain that was mentioned. I'm wondering if this is because of the typical heavy canvas that is used, so that has me thinking of an alternative material. I immediately thought Sunbrella, although admittedly i know nothing of it, just it's mention here previously.

I'm thinking that a lightweight, ripstop and waterproof material would be ideal. I'd appreciate some leads into potential material choices.

Also, has anyone modified a Hannibal with support under the material to give it pitch and eliminate pooling?

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Subscribed! I so want to make an awning and since I've never had one.....I'll be following along.:wings:

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
The pooling is because the design is basicly flat with a slight incline
similar to RTT tents, where the door awning pool's with water.

material choice won't make much diference, other than
PVC or similar would allow the water to move faster than a woven material

either way tension is the only weapon to pooling on a slightly inclined tarp/awning.

Now if you added a couple of diagonal tent poles, giving a fully 4 directional arch, pooling would almost no existent depending on tension of the material.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
When I went shopping for material for my trailer, the fabric store had this synthetic canvas with a rubberized backing so it's waterproof. Kind of a cheap Sunbrella. I'm sure it's not of the same quality, but it was affordable and available. Check it out. It's affordable, but not really "cheap". It has about the same weight as the fabric used in my Maggiolina. When I get to making an awning, that's what I'll use.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
material choice won't make much diference, other than
PVC or similar would allow the water to move faster than a woven material

either way tension is the only weapon to pooling on a slightly inclined tarp/awning.

Good point on the woven material and runoff speed, that hadnt crossed my mind.

Tension, my thought was to have a few grommets along the edge to attach a guy wire to keep taught when material is wet... and hope to keep material stretching to a minimum. Using a few old tent poles in an X as you describe was also a thought.

When I went shopping for material for my trailer, the fabric store had this synthetic canvas with a rubberized backing so it's waterproof. Kind of a cheap Sunbrella. I'm sure it's not of the same quality, but it was affordable and available. Check it out. It's affordable, but not really "cheap". It has about the same weight as the fabric used in my Maggiolina. When I get to making an awning, that's what I'll use.

I have a JoAnn's Fabric store locally, i'll see what they have. Thanks.

I have had this link for awhile now, they list an awning material that might work.

http://www.mytarp.com/

D

Deleted member 9101

Sunbrella fabric is great. Its used on boats for all kinds of stuff.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I made 2 awnings for the trailer from some Ebay knockoff stuff and it worked great so far...easy to use and seems pretty durable so far! It was 6 bux a yard compared to Sunbrella at around $35 Hopefully it doesnt come back to bite me.

off.track

Adventurer
there is a marine place near me that makes boat covers and sails and such.. i was thinking of hitting them up to see if they'd sell me a bit of material.. i've looked at a few places and haven't found anything suitable but i think joannes fabric may still be around.. may give them a shot.. i'd really rather go with lightweight material, like equinox but bigger..

as to pooling.. don't over do the tension.. sometimes looseness is what you need.. try it.. it works better most of the time. part of the problem with these roof mounted awnings is that there is either not enough slope or the ridge bar in between the poles actually impedes water flow.

Cody1771

Explorer
ive worked with sunbrella for years, doing the odd sail repairs and canvas for boats. its how i paid my way through college. all i can say about sunbrella if your going to use it get high quality stuff if you want to use it and use a hot knife to cut it or it will fray like hell on you...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz