ARB, ENGEL Fridge question

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
AFAIK only the Engels use the Sarafuji swing motor. Most of the others ,inc the ARB,use a Danfoss BD35.
Both these units work great.

CarlsbadRover

Am I correct that both of these fine fridges use the "swing motor" for cooling? If not, what?

Thanks

The older ARB freezer/fridge (42 quart) was an OEM of the Engel (with the addition of a thermometer) and did use the swing motor. The new ARB freezer/fridge (47 L) uses the Danfoss compressor.

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
Comparisons?

Has anyone ever seen a review and/or comparison of 12v frige's?
I am looking to buy, but had several problems with the Engle has put in my last trailer.

Thanks.
Jeff

voyageur

Adventurer
Well.... mine looks just like an ENGEL, as far as the exterior (with the addition of a centigrade thermometer) so, I am hoping it is the proven swing-motor. I guess it really doesn't matter because whatever it is... it's mine now.:)

Reason I was curious, is because it makes more noise than my 35QT ENGEL. Just a tiny bit more...

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Off the top of my head...

From at least ~99' ARB resold the 35, 45 and 60 quart Engels under their own name, basically a different case color and labeling on the unit, other than that the exact same specs, parts and of course the Sawafuji swing motor that has been such a proven unit. In ~05' ARB discontinued their 35 and 60 units and focused on the new 45 unit which then included a built in LCD thermometer located right next to the control switch on the back of the unit, other than that it was identical to the standard Engel. Engel themselves did not offer this thermo equipped unit in the US, only the ARB unit however Engel did continue to offer the 35 & 60 as well as their other sizing options. ARB did have their own Transit Bag which differed from the Engel unit quite a bit and has actually been a favorite amongst many including Engel branded units. In 2009 ARB released their solo branded unit, featuring the same Danfoss motor used in various freezer/fridge units (National Luna, Waeco, etc). So if you have an ARB other than the newest unit, then its an Sawafugi/Engel and spares, etc can be ordered from any Engel dealer. If you unit is less than 6 months old, chances are you have the new unit unless you stumbled across some 'new old stock'.

Plent of reviews of each here on the forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles