Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel cans and DOT?

Default Fuel cans and DOT?

Are there Federal regulations denoting Fuel can color minimum requirements?

I have some OD cans that i'd like to be legal with. Some googling has me unsure if the whole can or just the cap needs to be red in color to determine gasoline stored inside.

Am i legal with red straps on Scepters and red caps on Wedco's?

All of my NATO cans are entirely OD, and I have never had any trouble getting them filled. And here in good ol' Oregon we aren't allowed to pump our own gas, so they are always filled by a station attendant. No one has ever questioned it or even mentioned it. Whether it's federal law or just Oregon law I'm not sure, but I do know it's illegal to dispense fuel into a glass container.

-
    Jim Price
    curmudgeon: n. a crusty, ill-tempered, irascible, cantankerous old person . . . .

'78 IH Scout Traveler - (Festus)
    '76 IH Scout II - (Baby Blue)
    '65 IH 1200 4x4 pickup
    '94 Chev Blazer

JP's Photo Albums

The only mention I've seen of fuel can coloring and the DOT is on the Jerry Can Paper @ http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.co...per%20V1.3.pdf on the 2nd page. DOT apparently isn't concerned about color coding according to the article.

vagabond wander, on the road again, South bound...
    I've been concerned about this as well.

I recently had AJ build me a great set of bumpers for my XJ, enclosed winch in front and a tire carrier w/ a hi lift and dual jerry cans in the back. The cans are side by side. A few days ago I went to a sail maker, he is making me a cover for the cans. Out of sight, out of mind. Problem solved.
    Rich G

1999 XJ Sport, AX15/Hurst, Headers 2.5" Exhaust, K&N Cone, Rusty's Adj. Track Bar, Lower control Arms, 3" Springs, Spacers & Shackles 4" Lift. OME Shocks, Quicker Disco's, 31X10.50 MT MTZ's, Cragers, Warrior Bumpers & Other Stuff

Nothing matters but everything counts. . .

"The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools." Thucydides circa 460 bc - c. 400 bc

Strap red and you're clear.

If you like, you can do the whole cap.

If you enjoy painting, you can do the whole can.

But red strap will make you legal.
    '05 Nissan Frontier Build Thread

'08 Nissan Xterra Build Thread

'09 Suzuki V Strom DL650 Build Thread

You can read all the stories and watch all the videos you want, but there's no substitute for just getting out there and doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by CoastalDefender View Post
    Strap red and you're clear.

If you like, you can do the whole cap.

If you enjoy painting, you can do the whole can.

But red strap will make you legal.
    Certainly the safe thing to do, but do you have a source for the legality issue? That seems to continue to be the question. I haven't seen any basis for the claim that color is mandated by law for any fuel cans. Just seems to be an industry standard for gas cans to be red, diesel to be yellow.

I beleive Jerry cans are covered under DOT 178.509 for plastic jerry cans and DOT 178.511 for steel jerry cans:

178.509: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...=r49CFR178.509

178.511: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...016334800477d4

I see no mention of color requirements.
    Exploration is the essence of the human spirit.
    The TrailBlazer Project: Build Thread
    Founder and owner of offroadTB.com

I cannot for the life of me find the source where i "thought" i read they needed some color to be compliant. Thought it was a Pa requirement..

Anyway, i think i'll just paint the Scepter straps and Nato caps red. Thanks for the input.

I have a vague recollection of reading that some fire regulation required it to be red. Maybe a local fire marshal requirement somewhere? Probably from when I lived in Massachusetts, where they seemed to have a law for everything.
    James Howard

1968 Land Rover Dormobile
    1992 Range Rover, green with a white roof, the "Rangemobile"
    http://dormobile.blogspot.com

I submitted a question to USDOT online and they called me back this morning. The gentleman I spoke too said that fuel container color is not defined by USDOT. He thought I should check with OSHA.

I checked the OSHA site and spent about an hour searching for the common terms color or code or container or fuel or diesel or gasoline. I found nothing except some placarding requirements for large volumes and workplace safety. No mention of color coding for fuel containers anywhere.

The only color coding i did find was on the CARB site, Certification Requirements http://www.arb.ca.gov/regact/pfc/2005/cp501.pdf where section 2.2 clearly defines the colors for each fuel type.

Guess you guys from california will have to stop carrying blue containers for water as they will too easily be confused for Kerosene.
    Last edited by bugnout; 09-01-2009 at 12:01 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast