Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A/T Overland Teardrop

Default A/T Overland Teardrop

I don't know how many of these trailers A/T has sold yet but I am considering one ever since I saw one at the Overland Expo in April. So does anybody on here own one or have any real hands on experience?

Thanks,
    Ace
    Alan "Ace" Brown
    2008 FJ Cruiser Expedition Ready
    2011 Double R off-road trailer with Columbus RTT
    2011 Niner RIP 9 MTB
    Ready to hit the dirt about anytime!
    KJ4UML 146.460 CB Channel 34
    TLCA BRC

Just saw it in person when Martyn brought it by and it is a sexy trailer. Especially with the red mood lighting.
    2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ
    Conqueror Compact
    www.naxja.org

Quote Originally Posted by XJBANKER View Post
    Just saw it in person when Martyn brought it by and it is a sexy trailer. Especially with the red mood lighting.
    15 yard penalty and loss of down for using "Martyn" and "sexy" in the same sentence...

Safety fast,
    Bill

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
    - Helen Keller
    Forks Over Knives

I hear A/T has sold a couple of them.... anybody got any personal experience?

Or even some thoughts on this trailers practicality for extended off-road travel.

Ace
    Alan "Ace" Brown
    2008 FJ Cruiser Expedition Ready
    2011 Double R off-road trailer with Columbus RTT
    2011 Niner RIP 9 MTB
    Ready to hit the dirt about anytime!
    KJ4UML 146.460 CB Channel 34
    TLCA BRC

Quote Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
    15 yard penalty and loss of down for using "Martyn" and "sexy" in the same sentence...

I thought we were all good looking fellows. Can I take the brown paper bag off my head now?

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Brown View Post
    I hear A/T has sold a couple of them.... anybody got any personal experience?

Or even some thoughts on this trailers practicality for extended off-road travel.

Ace
    The prototype Teardrop was completed in time for the OVX in April and was ready for production by the start of the summer. Taking into account the fact that it's a new trailer, and most purchases take a minimum of 6 weeks to come to fruition and some as long as 2 years, sales are doing very well.

I spent 3 weeks in the Teardrop this summer on my West - East, Roadtrip my impressions are:

It's a very easy convenient trailer to travel in. In fact it's so easy I felt I was cheating. Set up is minimal for the kitchen, and all you have to do to go to bed is open the door and lay down.

The fit and finish are exceptional, and the interior space is surprisingly spacious, light, and well organized.

My wife and I both slept in the trailer, the bed was very comfortable, and wide enough for two people.

I experienced some huge rainstorms both when camping and driving and the trailer was bone dry inside.

There is limited space for carrying supplies. All your pots and pans and utensils can fit in the kitchen, along with food in the fridge and dry goods on the shelves.

Bedding can remain on the bed, and some clothing go in the interior drawers. I left my bag of clothes on the bed when I was travelling.

In the back of my vehicle I had one of our 36" long composite drawers where I stored everything else. Had I needed more storage I would have put in a second drawer, or put stuff up on the roof rack of the Teardrop.

My recommendations for improvement were:

We needed to make a slide in bug screen for the pass through between the kitchen and the interior.

We should design an awning that would fit to the open rear hatch to cover the kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn View Post
    I thought we were all good looking fellows.
    I'm drop-dead sexy...

But seriously, I'd want a Teardrop or Clamshell if the bed were longer... ...could that be done? I need at least 80" --- 82" or more would be better.
    I'm not as big as the fellow in the picture, but I am pretty large.

Safety fast,
    Bill

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
    - Helen Keller
    Forks Over Knives

SoCal Teardrops makes a bigger trailer, the Deluxe http://www.socalteardrops.com/511.html but then you've got the problem of a bigger trailer off-road, making things more complicated and less maneuverable.
    J. Alan Smythee

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    2005 Toyota Sequoia

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

the game is rigged, but you cannot lose if you do not play

A few pix to chew on....at the AT shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by 6Pins View Post
    SoCal Teardrops makes a bigger trailer, the Deluxe http://www.socalteardrops.com/511.html but then you've got the problem of a bigger trailer off-road, making things more complicated and less maneuverable.
    Sometimes you have to make compromises.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast