A/T Overland Teardrop

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I don't know how many of these trailers A/T has sold yet but I am considering one ever since I saw one at the Overland Expo in April. So does anybody on here own one or have any real hands on experience?

Thanks,
Ace

XJBANKER

Explorer
Just saw it in person when Martyn brought it by and it is a sexy trailer. Especially with the red mood lighting.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I hear A/T has sold a couple of them.... anybody got any personal experience?

Or even some thoughts on this trailers practicality for extended off-road travel.

Ace

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I hear A/T has sold a couple of them.... anybody got any personal experience?

Or even some thoughts on this trailers practicality for extended off-road travel.

Ace

The prototype Teardrop was completed in time for the OVX in April and was ready for production by the start of the summer. Taking into account the fact that it's a new trailer, and most purchases take a minimum of 6 weeks to come to fruition and some as long as 2 years, sales are doing very well.

I spent 3 weeks in the Teardrop this summer on my West - East, Roadtrip my impressions are:

It's a very easy convenient trailer to travel in. In fact it's so easy I felt I was cheating. Set up is minimal for the kitchen, and all you have to do to go to bed is open the door and lay down.

The fit and finish are exceptional, and the interior space is surprisingly spacious, light, and well organized.

My wife and I both slept in the trailer, the bed was very comfortable, and wide enough for two people.

I experienced some huge rainstorms both when camping and driving and the trailer was bone dry inside.

There is limited space for carrying supplies. All your pots and pans and utensils can fit in the kitchen, along with food in the fridge and dry goods on the shelves.

Bedding can remain on the bed, and some clothing go in the interior drawers. I left my bag of clothes on the bed when I was travelling.

In the back of my vehicle I had one of our 36" long composite drawers where I stored everything else. Had I needed more storage I would have put in a second drawer, or put stuff up on the roof rack of the Teardrop.

My recommendations for improvement were:

We needed to make a slide in bug screen for the pass through between the kitchen and the interior.

We should design an awning that would fit to the open rear hatch to cover the kitchen.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I thought we were all good looking fellows.
I'm drop-dead sexy...
6a00b8ea06ece0dece00c2251c31a2549d-500pi

But seriously, I'd want a Teardrop or Clamshell if the bed were longer... ...could that be done? I need at least 80" --- 82" or more would be better.
I'm not as big as the fellow in the picture, but I am pretty large.

100_2603.jpg

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Martyn,

Thanks for your thoughts on the Teardrop. That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I attended the Overland Training with Mario and spent a lot of time inspecting the Teardrop and bugging Mario with questions. By the end of the week I had decided the Teardrop was too small for my needs and decided to wait for the Oasis to come out, but now I am leaning back to the TD for several reasons: speed of setup, solid walls between critters and thieves, no canvas flapping in the wind, no soggy wet canvas to fold away after rain/dew and it just looks so cool!

Some negatives from my POV: be nice if track width was closer to my FJ Cruiser, cooking in rain/wind could be a problem (good to hear your looking at a awning for rear), wish there was more ventalation (I know can be added). I'd also like to see some under-floor storage added.

I currently am full-timing in an Escape 17 (think Casita on steroids) which has been modified for moderate off-road travel. It is much bigger than I need and the suspension is not up to serious off road travel. Your TD is the only US made trailer that suits most of my needs. Everyone asks how the heck am I going to live in a Teardrop? My reply has been: "I won't live there, I'll just sleep there....". If conditions get real bad there is always a motel somewhere!

Expect to hear from me soon.

Ace

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I am bumping this back up in hopes that a new Teardrop owner may have some thoughts on this rig. I know several have been sold by now. I would really like to hear from an owner or two.

Thanks,
Ace

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
True, but that big bed would be nice at the end of the day for those of larger/taller stature.

The bed is 6'4" long in the production model. If you wanted something longer we could do it, but it would be custom. I don't think you want to go wider, we already made the production trailer 6 inches wider from the prototype. If you go bigger in width it's problematic off-road.

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
Just catching up on this thread and while I don't own one (yet :) ) I had the opportunity to spend a week in the teardrop early last summer. Mario and I flogged it through southern Death Valley and ran it through its paces. My impression was that it towed very nice, even better than my Horizon. Two reasons for this were the decrease in the overall trailer weight (can't remember the weight difference, but believe it was a few hundred lbs. lighter) and the lower COG due to not having the RTT on top. It handled extremely well in rough higher speed driving, tracking perfectly behind the D90. Every revision to the AT suspension continues to be more refined!

Living out of it was a treat! The kitchen set-up is instant and the rear hatch provides for great shade. Everything was within easy reach and meals were a breeze to cook. The wood work and hardware are all marine grade and fit and finish are perfect. The over all construction is incredible, some of the best aluminum fabrication that I have seen. All door hatches latch with a positive feel and there was zero dust intrusion into the cab, very hard to do in Death Valley! The nights cooled down into the high 90s, but sleeping was bearable due to the excellent ventilation with having doors on port and starboard and the cubby opening from the kitchen area.

My ONLY beef for the trailer was where to stow the kit. With the prototype you had to pile everything on the bed, which is way too nice to have some dirty firewood on! This is easily taken care of with the baskets/rack that I have seen on Teardrop V.2. With a couple of Pelicans lashed to the top it is the best of all worlds. Really an exceptional trailer and one that cannot be fully appreciated without actually kicking the tires. :beer:

Attachments

• DSCN1711.JPG
    DSCN1711.JPG
    428.4 KB · Views: 164
  • DSCN1743.JPG
    DSCN1743.JPG
    434 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member