Potjiekos recipes

Spikepretorius

Explorer
I thought some of you overlanding chefs might enjoy these recipes in the attached pdf. I received it via email.

Potjiekos = Pot food (direct translation)
Potjie = standard african three legged pot with a round base.

The tradition here is to never stir a pot. Just cook.
And it always tastes better the next day

Attachments

• Potjiekos Resepte.pdf
    80.3 KB · Views: 256

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Spike, thank you so much for the recipes. I love to cook in my Potjie.

I love a vegetable stew using fruit juice as the liquid. When we lived in South Africa we'd used Carrot/Pineapple or Guava juice.

I don't know what it is about the Potjie but everything seems to cook just right, and nothing gets over done.

off.track

Adventurer
i can't get half the meats here but will try with the thing that are available. thanks for sharing. now i just need a potjie. :D i do have camp ovens though.

gjackson

FRGS
Spike,

Awesome collection. We have a potjie in the 110 and use it on most trips. Some of the best food going for camping.

The uninitiated will know the potjie as a 'dutch oven'.

cheers

mrbishi

Adventurer
thanks for that Spike - I'm gonna try some of those in the camp oven on an upcoming trip! They are making my mouth water!

Last edited:

taco2go

Explorer
Thank you for sharing that- needed to format it to fit our letter size papers.
Laminated front and back covers, spiral bound at Office Max, and it's now ready for the next trip. :chef:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Spike,
Many thanks for the recipes. I've forwarded them to SWMBO.

Graham,
Since Lodge is the preeminent mfg of Dutch Oven in the U.S. and they've been in business since 1896 (presumably making these pots by that name since then) I wouldn't say that the uninitiated refer to them wrongly. Clearly there are two regional names for the same tool. :sombrero:

No matter what you call them, the vittles that come from them have yet to disappoint.

spunky2268

Adventurer
Potjie & Dutch Oven

Potjies and Dutch ovens are distictly different animals, both designed to be used at the hearth or campfire. A potjie is near round as a globe, including the top. It does have three legs, just like a camp Dutch oven. Whereas the camp Dutch usually has a flat top and capitalizes on the wonderful properties of cast iron (it just don't feel right doin' it with aluminum) to transmit heat from the top down, with most of your coals or briquettes on the flat top, and a few underneath. The potjie won't allow this, unless you really like charcoal in your food. They can be used interchangably for many recipes, but usually the potjie is limited to "wet" foods (stews, soups, etc.), the DO can do both.

Back on topic. Thanks for the post. I have a dear friend whom teaches nursing for missions programs in Kenya and she has wonderful stories to tell about the magnificent foods served to her, or prepared by her, in a potjie.:drool:

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Thanks for the education. Based on previous comments I had assumed that they were one and the same thing.

spunky2268

Adventurer
^^^ any shops with potjies in your neck of the woods?

Man, I thought this would be a bit easier for me. I had researched potjies in the past due to an interest in fire based cooking. William Rubel, the author of "The Magic of Fire", had some real good info about these in the past...at least that's where I thought I got it. You might try this link: http://www.actionafrica.com/index.htm which comes from this http://www.williamrubel.com/hearthcooking/equipment/dutch-ovens-and-cast-iron-cookware page. I could not find anything with a cursory search, but you might be able to give the guy at Action Africa a ring. I don't have the book at hand right now to verify any info there either. A Google search reveals a few overseas purveyors. Sorry folks.

FWIW, you certainly can use a dutch for the potjie recipes. And, the dutch is a little more versatile. For me, it's about how "authentic" I do a recipe; it just won't taste the same if I don't have the right (insert selected camp kitchen material here)...:chef:

off.track

Adventurer
thanks spunky.. i came across another place down in Atlanta area that has potjies but that is it. hmm.. i have not been able to find a place that carries anything SA here in the middle.. not even in Chicago. and shipping of cast iron is a bit on the prohibitive side of things. i'll just keep looking i guess..

and yes i know that potjiekos can be done with a DO but I really want one of these rounded pots added to my collection. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior