Potjiekos recipes

off.track

Adventurer
darn pricey there too but at least it's somewhat near by... hmm.. may have to make a road trip.

thanks dontpanic42.

DontPanic42

Adventurer
darn pricey there too but at least it's somewhat near by... hmm.. may have to make a road trip.

thanks dontpanic42.

If you decide to take a road trip you might hit the feed & grain stores in some of the small towns. We found some great english pots of all sizes at a farm & ranch store south of San Antonio a few years ago.
Icefisher45, if SPAG's is still around you might try there. You never know what you will find there. Also, try driving out US 20 and looking for feed & grain stores out in the western part of the state. Of course a trip to New Hampshire will save you sales tax. Happy hunting. I always enjoyed the hunt the best.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Thank you, Spags is gone, But I will check out the grain and feed stores in my area and Nh. What size should I get?

Last edited:

DontPanic42

Adventurer
Thank you, Spags is gone, But I will check out the grain and feed stores in my area and Nh. What size should I get?

Guess I shouldn't be surprised that SPAGS is gone. Over the years I have bought everything from plumbing and electrical supplies, knives, to a cigar store Indian from them. I guess it is Marden's up through Maine now.
As far as size, that depends on what and how many you plan to cook for. I am good at stating the obvious. As a rule of thumb, I would look at what you plan to use it for. Check to see what pots you have now that would work, then use that to size your Potije. I like to keep my pots filled to about 3/4's capacity to minimize boiling over. Nice thing about the spherical design is that they don't boil out over the top easily.
The pots I have run from about 1/2 gallon to 5 - 6 gallons. Typically, I have been cooking for 25 - 50 people but haven't been doing much of that lately. I have flat bottom ones for use on the stove and 3 legged ones for use with a fire pit. I have a friend that I help several times a year that has a 15 gallon pot. We served chopped beef BBQ to around 1100 folks one weekend in Colorado using it.
Sorry I can't be more specific. Just remember they are heavy empty and get ridiculously heavy when full.
Happy hunting.

off.track

Adventurer
Guess I shouldn't be surprised that SPAGS is gone. Over the years I have bought everything from plumbing and electrical supplies, knives, to a cigar store Indian from them. I guess it is Marden's up through Maine now.
As far as size, that depends on what and how many you plan to cook for. I am good at stating the obvious. As a rule of thumb, I would look at what you plan to use it for. Check to see what pots you have now that would work, then use that to size your Potije. I like to keep my pots filled to about 3/4's capacity to minimize boiling over. Nice thing about the spherical design is that they don't boil out over the top easily.
The pots I have run from about 1/2 gallon to 5 - 6 gallons. Typically, I have been cooking for 25 - 50 people but haven't been doing much of that lately. I have flat bottom ones for use on the stove and 3 legged ones for use with a fire pit. I have a friend that I help several times a year that has a 15 gallon pot. We served chopped beef BBQ to around 1100 folks one weekend in Colorado using it.
Sorry I can't be more specific. Just remember they are heavy empty and get ridiculously heavy when full.
Happy hunting.

this is exactly why i have to see them in person.. for normal dinners i use a 10 or 10D DOs.. but i don't know what i'd use for potjiekos.. i do use my 12D a lot when i cook for groups.. i want to see no2 and no3 and compare. thanks dontpanic42.

Connie

Day walker, Overland Certified OC0013
Great recipes, a few of those ingredients might be a little hard to source here, but good stuff! Thanks Spike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz