Expedition Trailer for ATV

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I have been searching for an expedition trailer with all the useability attributes of a Chaser but the ability to haul an ATV or some kayaks. If anyone knows of a company that sells them, please point me in the right direction. Otherwise, I will build my own (may just do it anyway) for myself and my friends.

Basically I want around 120 cubic feet of low lying cargo area and enough compartment storage to fit kitchen gear, water, camping equipment, and a roof top tent. The trailer must be able to make it down some class 2 trails or a few mild obstacles, have a relatively low center of gravity, and have the same track width and length as a 3rd gen 4Runner. Dimensions need to be minimized to fit with the truck in a TEU container for international shipping.

Overall, this trailer needs to be solid and simple in construction of working parts(i.e. I can find parts that work if somoething goes wrong in..... somewhere.... get it!). If I break a leaf spring, I can repair it with an on board welder, if I break a coil I am up the creek!

Anyways, I have not found anything that meets my requirements on the market to date. If I make one, would anyone else be interested?

Last edited:

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Thanks!

That looks fantastic. A bit of work with the plasma cutter and welder should be able to make that work well. Looks like a good platform. If they can do any customization, that would be great. Thanks a bunch!

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
If they can do any customization, that would be great.

You're welcome.

I met the owner of the company this spring. I have no affiliation with his company, but he seemed more than willing to work with his customers to build the right trailer for them.

Aggie

Adventurer
I have done business with the Owner (Robert) a couple of times and he will do whatever you want him to on the trailer! I love my Outlander!

Arya Ebrahimi

Adventurer
I think a utility bed would be perfect for what you're looking for. Pretty much all the storage you need and a full-size 8' bed in the middle.

I'm just starting on mine now. Ignore the fact that it's sitting on my car trailer, it will be its own trailer by the time I'm done.

Attachments

• Camping Trailer Build 001 (Medium).jpg
    Camping Trailer Build 001 (Medium).jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 8,041
  • Camping Trailer Build 012 (Medium).jpg
    Camping Trailer Build 012 (Medium).jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 170

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Talk to Mario over at Adventure Tailer... they're making a trailer that holds Rhino's or ATV's right now for a customer. He should be able to make one for you if you're interested.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Talk to Mario over at Adventure Tailer... they're making a trailer that holds Rhino's or ATV's right now for a customer. He should be able to make one for you if you're interested.

Oh, I was unaware that they would do this kind of thing with all that they have going on. If I had known, I would have certainly pointed the OP in this direction.

The quality and the suspension system of the AT trailers cannot be outdone. Mr. Leary, you should seriously consider an Adventure Trailer if they can make it fit your needs.

newimage

Wood Burner
We built this one for a guy in MN he was going to Alaska
IMG_1968.jpg

IMG_1972.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

Kayak racks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier