Are rear tire carriers essential?

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
James: That's actually a pretty cool setup, and you can't beat the price!

I also like the fact that it leaves me the option of keeping my vehicle stock. I can put on the tire carrier for an off road trip, and then when I get back to "civilization" I can put the tire back underneath the truck if I want.

Might have to shoot them an email...

Neliconcept (a member here) had one of these on his 3rd gen, looked good from what I remember. But in regards to stock, you can always removed the tire swing portion of the bumper I'm looking at if you don't want to run with it on there.

A

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Love my tire carrier....

Is one essential? No, not really. I have a Tahoe with a tire carrier and jerry can holder and my work truck is an Expedition with the underside tire holder. I have had 6 flats in my Expedition and changing the tire on that thing is a royal P.I.T.A.:violent-smiley-031: If I had a tire carrier on the back it would save me about 10 minutes a tire change, owing to the time to crank down the spare and crank it back up. (and that is using a custom made crank the guys at the county shop fabbed up for me. Using the factory crank handle takes about 20 minutes!) Ugh. And everytime I pull the spare out it is covered in road grime and is overall way more cruddy than a tire mounted to the rear would be. So, I LOVE having my swing out tire carrier on my Tahoe, even if it is a minor inconvenience in day to day living.

As for James Downing's rig, his tire carrier is very well made. Have seen it myself, and seen James stand on top of the tire where it is mounted with no ill effect on the assembly. Very well made.

My Kennesaw Mtn bumper is pretty stout and the removeable Jerry Can holder is a pretty nice accessory.
TripWest2009358.jpg

The bumper is about 10 times stronger than the factory one to boot, GM just dont make things like they used to....

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Sorry, going to threadjack for a moment but why do some of the rear tire carriers you see have the tire off-set to one side or the other. Wouldn't that throw off the balance of the vehicle while in a off-camber stituation? Why not keep the tire centerly located.

matt s

Explorer
Sorry, going to threadjack for a moment but why do some of the rear tire carriers you see have the tire off-set to one side or the other. Wouldn't that throw off the balance of the vehicle while in a off-camber stituation? Why not keep the tire centerly located.

I have wondered about the balance as well. I think it has to do with not hanging the tire way out on the end of a lever putting even more stress on the pivot for the swing gate when used. I know that the amount of weight on mine with the tire and two fuel cans is considerable and at camp I brace it up to take the weight off while it's open.

Silver dude

Xplorer

Generally the tire is kept off to the left to stay out of the view of the driver when backing up. Also on the left as when you open to the right it the tire travels away from the truck allowing for door clearance. Obviously, you don't want it in the center as it acts as a window blockade. On the right? Sometimes if just works better that way in special applications.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
For me, the rear swingout was necessary since the tall 255/85R16's dont fit well in the stock spot unless you let some air out... not much point in a semi-flat spare IMO. I can carry a second spare in that spot if I wish, but my primary spare needs to be fully inflated and easy to access. Some people like to hang all the "ExPo Bling" on their back bumpers and swingouts but I advise against this temptation - try to limit your weight back there to absolute necessity items. Anything that can be carried closer to the center of the vehicle should be. I even jettisoned my old school Hi-Lift in favor of an X-Jack, a much lighter piece of gear and this saved a bunch of weight that was previously hanging on that back bumper. Right now all I carry on the bumper is a full size spare, Scepter can, and an ammo can for Wag Bag transport :)

I highly recommend CBI's products, and I even put their swag on my rig to advertise CBI... of course, Tread Lightly, AT, and Sierra Expeditions get some free advertising back there as well ;)

http://www.cbioffroadfab.com/

100_1369.jpg

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
A topic that I've run around in mind at least a dozen times. I don't like the idea that you have to open the swinger to be able to open the tail gate or possibly even the lift gate just to access the rear of the vehicle. I've read more than a few posts saying that it's not that big of a deal. In my own case I think that I'm forced into accepting one on the FJ60 so I guess I'll find out. I want more fuel capacity in one single tank (no dual tanks, thanks), and doing that jettisons the stock spare tire winch.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
You get used to it, but it can be a PITA at times.

One benefit of having the swingout gate that deserves mention here is physical security.

With a gate, it is a real deterrent to any would be thieves who might like to grab something in the bed or topper but don't know how to open it or don't have the time to get away with this maneuver.

jh504

Explorer
Any SUV I run always will have a swing out carrier. Ive done it other ways and that is the best for me. If the carrier has an easy release on it, it has never been a big deal to get to the rear cargo area. An extra 2 seconds, thats it. I dont run roof racks around here because most trails are very thick with brush and I have seen them get smashed and be a hindrance. Also getting a tire down from up there is a pain, and the weight is kept lower with a rack. My votes for a good swing out.

CYi5

Explorer
As others have said, I believe the need for a rear tire swingout lies in A) tire is too big to fit, or B) auxilary fuel cell. If I were running 285/75s, i'd probably get a 255/85 or 235/85 to use as a skinny spare.

One of the downfalls of SUVs versus trucks is not having a good place for jerry cans. Can't carry them inside for safety/comfort reasons. I'm tempted to build a full rear bumper with swing outs, but I really don't need one, i've strayed away from real rocky trails with this rig. My solution: I'll build a swingout that bolts onto the sides of the stock trailer hitch to hold 2 jerry cans.

D

DEEZLPWR

i went with a tiregate, i love it have no problems with it. not only does it keep the topper hatch secured, it holds the tire, and doubles as a spot to secure my cook table to.

CIMG2238.jpg

DSC00644.jpg

angusdevil

Adventurer
Great idea with the tiregate "table"! I think I'm gonna have to steal that idea. How'd you attach it to the bottom of the tg?

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Well, I decided against a tire holder.
The cool looking factor almost had me building one, but at the last moment I went with jerry cans and a fold down table as being the most important things to me.
I rarely get flats and when I do every one of my 20 or so flats has been "pluggable" so I've never actually needed to get to my spare. Because of that I decided that it shall remain underneath. I'll post some pics soon. :sombrero:

p.s.
When I do a hard "rock crawling" type trail I'll just throw the tire inside or build a mount onto the bumper. Or just slide the tire over objects and risk puncturing the spare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94