Are rear tire carriers essential?

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
While pondering what mod may be next as there never seems to be enough, I've been thinking a rear tire carrier is the way to go. There are limited option for a 4RUnner but w/o taking my vehicle to the facility and leaving it, Irbis Offroad has what I need. It would certainly get that spare out from under the truck and on the back where I need it, not to mention opena space for a extended range fuel cell. Thoughts?

A

Darren

Adventurer
In my opinion, the only good reason to do it would be if you're going to add an auxiliary fuel tank. They just aren't necessary otherwise and don't accomplish anything. The extra clearance gained by not having the spare tire under there just doesn't come into play.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Depends on the rig. For me it is inside of the cargo area and takes up a BUNCH of room. I don't want it on the roof for weight reasons. Having had to change a flat on a rig with it located underneath.. I'd say do it... I hate how low they get on a flat.

Donsfast

Observer
IMO it depends on your particular needs. If doing alot of off roading on anything other than dirt roads having the spare easily obtainable is wonderful. I couldnt imagine having to dig the spare out from underneath when the rear of the Toyota is sitting on the uneven ground and having to move around to find a flat enough spot to make the spare obtainable. If you dont normally do rough terrain having the spare underneath could be out of the way and never a problem.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Well some of you on here know me and other don't even with both rear tires flat I would still be able to get the spare out, no question. I do a wide mix of all things from road travel to medium crawling. The bumper I have in mind offer rear quarter panel protection. It's a cross between these two,,,,,,,,,
P1010019Small-1.jpg

RED4R4Custom.jpg

RED4R5Custom.jpg

A

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I've been pondering this myself a lot lately. Right now I'm leaning toward doing just a rear bumper, maybe with some jerry can mounts, but probably leaving the tire where it is. I don't do any hardcore rock crawling and I highly doubt I'll ever get far enough along in the build (or have the money) to install an aux fuel tank so I figure the tire is fine where it is.

But ask me after I have my dual battery, front bumper and winch installed...I could change my mind back again! :sombrero:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Go with a rear bumper mounted tire carrier. Granted I have a Tacoma with more bed past the axle but with a 285/75/16 spare hanging down I always have to remove the spare and put it in the bed, eating up space. So it's pretty much decided -- this winter the Demello hybrid rear bumper gets treated to a rear tire carrier.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: There's nothing essential abouit a rear tire carrier, or jerry cans, or winch, or roof rack, or 4wd, but

After splitting the sidewall and bead, on a right rear tire on one of my Dodge Ramchargers, at 0200 hrs, at 8500 ft, in DEEP snow-GADZOOKS

I've had 7, 4wd's since then and I've never left the spare underneath

Paranoid--YOU BET !!!

:costumed-smiley-007:safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

seanz0rz

Adventurer
In my opinion, the only good reason to do it would be if you're going to add an auxiliary fuel tank. They just aren't necessary otherwise and don't accomplish anything. The extra clearance gained by not having the spare tire under there just doesn't come into play.

those of us running 33" or larger tires cannot fit a tire under the vehicle without deflating it (what is the point of that?)

im working on mine, with a rear tire carrier. here is my build up thread over at UY: http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=8072.0

for me i do a bit of trail/crawling on the weekends for day runs and then some longer expedition style travel. the tire inside is fine for the weekend, but on extended trips it just takes up too much cubic footage.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I've been pondering this myself a lot lately. Right now I'm leaning toward doing just a rear bumper, maybe with some jerry can mounts, but probably leaving the tire where it is. I don't do any hardcore rock crawling and I highly doubt I'll ever get far enough along in the build (or have the money) to install an aux fuel tank so I figure the tire is fine where it is. But ask me after I have my dual battery, front bumper and winch installed...I could change my mind back again! :sombrero:

True, but consider the aux fuel tank a OE model for a F150 and a filler neck will be the only tricky part. Something could be in the works.

:sombrero: There's nothing essential abouit a rear tire carrier, or jerry cans, or winch, or roof rack, or 4wd, but
After splitting the sidewall and bead, on a right rear tire on one of my Dodge Ramchargers, at 0200 hrs, at 8500 ft, in DEEP snow-GADZOOKS
I've had 7, 4wd's since then and I've never left the spare underneath
Paranoid--YOU BET !!!:costumed-smiley-007:safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

I've found people confuse my preparedness with paranoia!

those of us running 33" or larger tires cannot fit a tire under the vehicle without deflating it (what is the point of that?)
im working on mine, with a rear tire carrier. here is my build up thread over at UY: http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=8072.0
for me i do a bit of trail/crawling on the weekends for day runs and then some longer expedition style travel. the tire inside is fine for the weekend, but on extended trips it just takes up too much cubic footage.

Well even with the tire flat I have a Power tank & OBA, so in theory while the slow as a snail OBA is filling the impact wrench is getting the lugs off.

I think I will mortgage my baby and get a Irbis rear bumper. I'm going away from the fuel carry option as I can put it on the roof if need be. I like the idea of it on the rear but think thats too much weight leveraging on the ******** end.

A

matt s

Explorer
Do consider how much of a pain the #$% it is to get into the rear once you do it. My blazer has a large swing gate with tire and two fuel can holders. It's sweet, for the trail. For daily use it's a real pain. I don't carry the fuel all the time, but the tire is there and since the blazer is tailgate/swing up window setup you can only access the bed by first swinging the gate open. I can lift the window as it misses the tire, but the 33 inch tire makes reaching in there to get anything heavy or large interesting.

I don't have a better solution for you, but thought you should consider this before you do it. If my setup had cargo doors like the tahoe, well I would mount in on the driver side and have easy access to the main cargo door. That would be nice, but not doable on my rig, or from the looks of things yours either.

I partially agree... I installed a long range fuel tank, so my rear bumper install was a must... but the bumper itself is much sturdier than the stock bumper and you can have multiple things installed on it (Bikes, jerry cans, etc.).
Do consider how much of a pain the #$% it is to get into the rear once you do it...
Here I can agree, it is a bit of a PITA. I am sure it will take me a while to get used to it, but having to swing out every time I need to get in the back of the truck is slightly annoying. But MAN I love my rear bumper:D!
6012_121118712205_62931757205_2252517_6749435_n.jpg

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
No us Toyota's and many other models for that matter suffer from non barn door style rear gates. I loved the doors on our Astro, Suburban and parents Tahoe.

I can see the access issue to be a PIA but nothing more than having to lift a leg higher to get into the higher ground clearanced rig, Lower MPG's because of the added weight, and so on. I think the build time is about 6 weeks so I'll start counting my change.

Something that was brought up was bikes and well thats what I'm wondering about My bike rack is already way off the ground with the height of the 4Runner and not to mention the fact I will need to make an extension to use the bike rack as they are notorious for non compliance with spare tires.

A

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94