Roof Top Tent Winter Storage

Willman

This year we kicked my trailer out of the garage to make room for the wife's car. So far the trailer and RTT are under a heavy wall UV resistant trap shaded from the sun between trips for the summer. Winter time is coming soon and wanted to start a discussion on this topic. I'm worried about mice and rats nesting in the RTT. I have through about taking the RTT and storing it high in the garage.

Just seeing what you guys think would be the best solution for winter storage?

Some idea's i have been kicking around...

Trailer/RTT outside:
- (I like this idea best....Simple, money saving)
-Use tons of shrink rap around the bottom/sides of the RTT to keep rodents out (my mother-in-law stores a lot of stuff and has luck with this method) with a heavy wall trap.

-Put lots poison and traps around the Trailer/RTT to keep the rodents at bay

RTT in garage:
-Done deal....no worries...but lots of work taking it off and storing it by its self.

-Damage - The RTT is heavy and if somebody slipped could cause damage to the tent taking it off.

-Buy a hoist and make a jig like this thread - HMR did a great job
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8288
I like this idea...but I'm trying to save all $$$$ if possible.

-Jacket has a great idea here too
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=310027&postcount=9

What do you think?? Have any of you had a Rodent problem storing your RTT outside in the winter? Lets here what you have done to fix the problem.

:)

Last edited:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
We store our RTT's in the summer out west and use them in the winter.:sombrero:
But here is how I store mine. No problem with rodents or bugs and make loading and unloading a one man job. Cost was around $100

Attachments

• RTTHoist.jpg
    RTTHoist.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 257

IggyB

Adventurer
Mine is resting flat against the side wall of the garage on folding Home Depot brackets

IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2057.jpg

Willman

Very nice guys....Keep them coming

The more and more i think about it.....I'm to keep it simple and keep it on my trailer outside....lots poison, traps, and shrink rap should work.

:)

Willman

We store our RTT's in the summer out west and use them in the winter.:sombrero:
But here is how I store mine. No problem with rodents or bugs and make loading and unloading a one man job. Cost was around $100

Any other details on the lifting hoist..Linky?

mrchips

Adventurer
If you have a cat , takes care of allot of the rat and mice problems.
My Chaser is stored inside the garage, all year round.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
How about using it at least once a month during the winter, tell your wife its to inspect for rodents. :REOutShootinghunter

I've had the RTT on my TT for 3 years now, always stored outside. I do put a simple tarp over it in the wintertime, a few bungy cords on each corner to keep it from flapping. We don't have much of a rodent problem close to home so I've not been worried about them getting into the tent.

Willman

How about using it at least once a month during the winter, tell your wife its to inspect for rodents. :REOutShootinghunter

Your the man Kurt! I'm sure i could get a kitchen pass for that...Keep me in mind when your winter trips start rolling around.

I've had the RTT on my TT for 3 years now, always stored outside. I do put a simple tarp over it in the wintertime, a few bungy cords on each corner to keep it from flapping. We don't have much of a rodent problem close to home so I've not been worried about them getting into the tent.

Thanks Kurt for the input!

I have caught one mouse in a trap in my garage....This is what got me thinking....

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Your the man Kurt! I'm sure i could get a kitchen pass for that...Keep me in mind when your winter trips start rolling around.

For sure! It would be great to get out with you. Thusfar I've got a few winter trips on the calendar, keep an eye on my customer run calendar and ExpeditionUtah as we are always planning trips there too. Swell in November, Lucin Sun Tunnels for the Solctics in December on the calendar now :cool:

...I have caught one mouse in a trap in my garage....This is what got me thinking....

I guess I've never even given it a second thought, sure would suck to open your tent come spring and find it had been chewed up by mice. I'd say stick with your original plans and be better safe than sorry.

JKJenn

Adventurer
Reviving an old thread to see if folks came up with other solutions. William - I love the shrink wrap idea - did you try it? We don't have tons of mice, but I imagine they exist. I would like to have the option of using the RTT in the winter. I would like to try some winter camping. My garage barely fits my JK, so the trailer is out of the question. I have read that mice hate dryer sheets, but I would imagine that they loose their scent outside fairly fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles