Post favorite pics of your rig and trailer

garwhal

Observer
trailer rack

Just finished my trailer build (for the most part) and loaded it up to see how everything fit. Still have room for two more mountain bikes and tons of gear in the basket and storage totes. Next pics won't be poser shots.

View attachment 137971

74CJ5, where did you find the racks that you used. Do you have the make and model number?

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Oh my, what beautiful camping trailers you have. It was a dazzling display to wade through all those pages of "this is how i did it" trailers.
I've had a few small tow-behinds for various 4x4's I've owned. Some were so long ago I don't have pics of them.
1. I home-built a jeep trailer to tow behind my 1949 Willys Ute Wagon in about 1965. Loaded it up with camping gear and once we got up in the Sierra Nevada, promptly ripped the tongue right off the box. So much for home built.
2. 1942 Bantam Jeep trailer. Built November 24th, 1942. I towed it around on jeep trails for many years, but it was very heavy.
3. 1968 ConFer Toyota Land Cruiser 'jeep' trailer. Confer in Burbank, CA made a few of these in their extensive shops. Clearly the best jeep trailer I owned. It was all metal with folding, waterproof locking lids. 4 gerry can holders. parking brake. 6 lug axle with the same track as an FJ. Not very heavy, which was a plus. The bad part was they used commercial trailer springs which crashed and burned in the middle of the Vizciano desert in Baja in 1974. See pic below. We finally removed the entire axle and put the carcass over the Tomba Burro and the tongue on the roof of my FJ55 and loaded all the stuff back in the trailer. All four corners of the L.C. were down to the snubbers. This made for an interesting trip back to Guererro Negro (since you could't see out of the windsheld) where we had a local blacksmith fashion us a new main spring to get us home:
jefe15_jpg.jpg

4. 1967 M416. We did the obbligatory SOA, newer wheels and recessed tail lights to make this a handsome rig:
DSCN0079.jpg

5. In this past year a neighbor was moving and I querried as to what end her 1955 Bradley (Sears) trailer was to be. She said she was not taking it with her and I could take it away for $100. O.K. I towed it the 200 m. to my home and rewired the lights and built some sides (all four sides) out of cedar planks. Sears and Roebuck must have sold thousands of these over time and they are made very well. 15" wheels, sturdy springs, double diamond plate floor and abbreviated fenders. It even has a truss under the tongue and a tailgate. I must change the hitch to a pintle and lunette or some newer flexy hitch.
DSCN0403.jpg

DSCN0409.jpg

DSCN0404.jpg

DSCN0405.jpg

I don't use a camping trailer much anymore as we've moved on to the plush lifestyle of a hardside truck camper.
DSC07659.jpg

I guess you could call this my camping trailer now:
DSCN0759.jpg

pulled by this:
DSCN0397.jpg

regards, as always, jefe

Last edited:

Woods

Explorer
GREAT post!

Thanks for sharing.

Oh my, what beautiful camping trailers you have. It was a dazzling display to wade through all those pages of "this is how i did it" trailers.
I've had a few small tow-behinds for various 4x4's I've owned. Some were so long ago I don't have pics of them.
1. I home-built a jeep trailer to tow behind my 1949 Willys Ute Wagon in about 1965. Loaded it up with camping gear and once we got up in the Sierra Nevada, promptly ripped the tongue right off the box. So much for home built.
2. 1942 Bantam Jeep trailer. Built November 24th, 1942. I towed it around on jeep trails for many years, but it was very heavy.
3. 1968 ConFer Toyota Land Cruiser 'jeep' trailer. Confer in Burbank, CA made a few of these in their extensive shops. Clearly the best jeep trailer I owned. It was all metal with folding, waterproof locking lids. 4 gerry can holders. parking brake. 6 lug axle with the same track as an FJ. Not very heavy, which was a plus. The bad part was they used commercial trailer springs which crashed and burned in the middle of the Vizciano desert in Baja in 1974. See pic below. We finally removed the entire axle and put the carcass over the Tomba Burro and the tongue on the roof of my FJ55 and loaded all the stuff back in the trailer. All four corners of the L.C. were down to the snubbers. This made for an interesting trip back to Guererro Negro (since you could't see out of the windsheld) where we had a local blacksmith fashion us a new main spring to get us home:
jefe15_jpg.jpg

4. 1967 M416. We did the obbligatory SOA, newer wheels and recessed tail lights to make this a handsome rig:
DSCN0079.jpg

5. In this past year a neighbor was moving and I querried as to what end her 1955 Bradley (Sears) trailer was to be. She said she was not taking it with her and I could take it away for $100. O.K. I towed it the 200 m. to my home and rewired the lights and built some sides (all four sides) out of cedar planks. Sears and Roebuck must have sold thousands of these over time and they are made very well. 15" wheels, sturdy springs, double diamond plate floor and abbreviated fenders. It even has a truss under the tongue and a tailgate. I must change the hitch to a pintle and lunette or some newer flexy hitch.

I don't use a camping trailer much anymore as we've moved on to the plush lifestyle of a hardside truck camper.

regards, as always, jefe

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Pat,
Life is all about being at the right place at the right time. There is no free lunch, but occasionally you get lucky.
jefe

skibum315

Explorer
Mundo, where in Nevada City are you? My family has had a vacation spot in Cascade Shores for going on 40 years now, it's just up the hill from the south launch on Scotts Flat ... my step-dad built it with my grandpa, when he was just out of college. I don't get up there much, since I moved out to Colorado; but my folks have been managing to get up that way for a long weekend pretty much once a month or more since they retired about a year or two ago.

Also have an aunt and uncle that recently moved back to the Lake Wildwood area after being gone for several years ... prior to that they were on a nice little ranch out near Penn Valley. That whole area is one of the real gems of the Sierra foothills ... I really miss spending time up there.

Thanks for sharing your trailers, and for sending me on a quick trip down memory lane.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Skibum,
We live on the west slope, Northern Sierra Nevada, 10 miles east of N.C. on hwy. 20 @ 4000 feet. That's why you see snow in many of these pix. Yes, I know where everything you mentioned is, and it's a fine place for us to wind up our declining years since retiring 6 yrs. ago. We had a real dump 2 yrs. ago: That's 5'4"Jeanie, not a dwarf, down the walk at the end of November, 2011.
DSCN1838.jpg

DSCN1842.jpg

regards, as always, jefe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles