Post favorite pics of your rig and trailer

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
We ran a 1200 mile trip off pavement trip immediately after the Overland Expo a couple of weeks ago and this was our first camp of the trip on top of Mokidugway. Pretty awesome view!
Mokidugway201.jpg

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
These were taken on the last Arizona strip expedition. Still a work in progress. This trailer is home built, unique in design. It is a pop up made from 2 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 tubs and tops chopped and fabricated together. The top section holds a queen mattress, all my bedding, a 60" table, and the tent enclosure. Ultimately, below the bed, the front section will contain a propane tank, 18 gal water tank, battery, electrics, toilet, shower, and a 70" slide out kitchen with bar, sink, stove, lantern mast, and drawers for kitchen storage all coverd by a pole-less awning. The rear section is left open for camping gear storage. It has dual swingout spares and a tailgate for an additional work space. Rear corners have reciever tubes out each side for accessorie platforms (I.E. fridge opposite kitchen) or stabalizer jacks. Also has a reciever hitch out the back for recovery or winch mount. Sand ladders, shovel, axe, etc. all mount to the front above tongue. Sand ladders act as a shield for debris. Currently set up with a rotating lunet for maximum articulation. additional pictures in my build thread: http://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-tech/247851-expedition-trailer-made-fj40-tub.html

I could see a set-up like this "scouting the route" on some of our adventures :imagesCADZQMBJ: Nice job!

elcoyote

Mokidugway is near Valley of the Gods in Utah. Our camp was an overlook that looked down on Valley of the Gods. What you are thinking might be a lake is merely shadows cast by the setting sun. Even if you're not much of a desert camper, I do recommend a visit to this area. The vistas are tireless.

Where exactly is that Mario? I am not much into desert camping, it appears to be a lake in the background.

elcoyote

Skersfan, if you want a to see a picture of a trailer and a lake in the distance, here's one of Paul May & his Chaser dropping southbound down the incline on our trip crossing the Utah/AZ border and headed to Lake Powell that you see in the distance.
Equipt UT-AZ.jpg

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I always wondered if the RTT suffered from those two issues ( mildew smell and the folding hinge in the middle of the bed ) Thanks for the insight.

The SoCal environment is drier so mildew is not really a problem but moisture can still build up under the mattress so airing out the tent is essential. Some folks have a thread going about adding in a sort of mesh layer under the mattress to allow air circulation. Always make sure the tent is dry before putting the vinyl cover over it. If the trailer it out in the rain and snow all the time then wrap the RTT up in plastic to seal it up for a while and keep water out. Also go to the trouble to take the mattress out once in a while and wash the cover. It is amazing how people keep using them without ever cleaning them and blame the mattress for the problems.

The hinge in the middle can be a problem if you do not engage it fully, allow mattress fabric to catch in it, have set the ladder improperly or one or more adults kneel right at the hinge point. Basically the hinge is fine unless you work at making it a problem.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
1997 M101A2 with a poor man's RTT, 30 gallons of water, water heater, cook top on the side, offset umbrella "to be replaced with rain flies rear and side.
matching wheel, tires and RED paint to my 2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew, custom cover 2.5 gallon jerry can, propane tank with didtribution tree.

Attachments

• tent 1.JPG
    tent 1.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 167
  • tent 6.JPG
    tent 6.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 166
  • tent 2.JPG
    tent 2.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 271
  • JERRY CAN 001.JPG
    JERRY CAN 001.JPG
    293.7 KB · Views: 166

frey0011

Jeep and trailer - always looking for improvements!

I have been watching this forum for quite awhile and have gained tons of info! I figured it was time to throw out a picture of my set up. This is my '87 Jeep Wrangler with my 2x4x6 trailer that I built. The trailer started its life as a portable road construction sign. I've managed to change it a little since then. It has a two foot section in the front with doors on each side and a drop down tailgate in the back of the 4 foot section. I put a Thule roof rack on it and have bike racks and a kayak rack for it. I have a 5 pound propane tank to mount on it somewhere yet and would like to set up a battery box with lights and outlets sometime. I have a portable battery pack for now. I have a table that attaches above the fender too for cooking on. I would love to get a set of tires for it that match the Wrangler as well someday. Always a work in progress!

2013-06-22 09.40.30.jpg

frey0011

I started to take some pictures as I was building but pretty much went from a blank frame to "finished". Maybe I can posted any updates or ah-ha moments as I go along.

Xtreme XJ

Adventurer
1997 M101A2 with a poor man's RTT, 30 gallons of water, water heater, cook top on the side, offset umbrella "to be replaced with rain flies rear and side.
matching wheel, tires and RED paint to my 2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew, custom cover 2.5 gallon jerry can, propane tank with didtribution tree.

I too have been drawing up trailers with various tents on a platform... on the trailer...
I've always thought your trailer had a nice fit & finish for your rig.

Was the tent overnighted in ??

"Daddy's Crew" HA !! enjoy it while you're still "daddy"

Curt

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Thank you for the complement Xtreme XJ.

Two nights so far in the tent. Better than the ground " no roots or rocks " just a hard flat surface.
I need more padding in the tent, maybe a thin matress. " I am going to try interlocking cut to size work out mat squares.
They will be easier to store than a rolled pad.

Yeah "Daddy's Crew" has been on the truck since we have owned it. 9 years, My oldest is 12 going on 20, so I may have to scrape it off soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94