Post favorite pics of your rig and trailer

MTD

Observer
What Would you like to know?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Did you use gas struts? I think that is what I will be using for mine. I got the idea from boxrocket. I originally was going to use electric linear actuators but thats too much electrical work.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

bikemanx2

Observer
It is designed to raise 24" using electric actuators on 2 diagonal corners and the other 2 corners are assisted with gas struts. For the wiriing I use the 12v pass thru on the 7 pin trailer plug from the vehicle for power, it goes through a fuse, spst rocker switch, and then I used a wireless actuator controller which uses a wireless key fob for up/down. One challenge I came across was sourcing gas springs that had 24" stroke and weren't crazy expensive or custom order. So I ended up coupling two 13" stroke struts (that are standard of the shelf units) together and sleeving them externally to prevent failing the joint thus creating the overall stroke I needed. All in all it works quite well. By only using 2 actuators I eliminated half the wiring, weight and complexity. I also didn't want to have to get really creative in figuring out how to compress some potentially really stiff gas springs in the middle of nowhere too so the actuators do a really nice job of taking on that task for me.

Maxcustody

Explorer
Here is a pic of my new trailer....picked it up on the 17th and used it for the first time last weekend...worked great!!
2a0693a50d9b1c4ddbc59f44759bfaa9.jpg
b8612db0c65d932b9d93995992b01504.jpg
0351f0d0a55a47de9079d4bd56b07db6.jpg
f633c88cc20ef7e95c83b73a636ae111.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTD

Observer
It is designed to raise 24" using electric actuators on 2 diagonal corners and the other 2 corners are assisted with gas struts. For the wiriing I use the 12v pass thru on the 7 pin trailer plug from the vehicle for power, it goes through a fuse, spst rocker switch, and then I used a wireless actuator controller which uses a wireless key fob for up/down. One challenge I came across was sourcing gas springs that had 24" stroke and weren't crazy expensive or custom order. So I ended up coupling two 13" stroke struts (that are standard of the shelf units) together and sleeving them externally to prevent failing the joint thus creating the overall stroke I needed. All in all it works quite well. By only using 2 actuators I eliminated half the wiring, weight and complexity. I also didn't want to have to get really creative in figuring out how to compress some potentially really stiff gas springs in the middle of nowhere too so the actuators do a really nice job of taking on that task for me.

Cool, so pretty much a combo of the two things I have looked at. I think I am going to peruse the gas strut only path though. The more I think about it using 4 50 lb struts to lift the tent 16 inches should be plenty and since I am a big guy I should have no problem getting them to drop.

I would be interested to see any pics you may have of how you assembled the 2 struts together.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
bikemanx2 said:
It is designed to raise 24" using electric actuators on 2 diagonal corners and the other 2 corners are assisted with gas struts.

What I've been wondering on the case of using electric actuators, if you have issues with them lifting at different rates. If one lifts or lowers faster than the other, wouldn't it cause a jam trying to cause an angle in the tubing?

bikemanx2

Observer
Cool, so pretty much a combo of the two things I have looked at. I think I am going to peruse the gas strut only path though. The more I think about it using 4 50 lb struts to lift the tent 16 inches should be plenty and since I am a big guy I should have no problem getting them to drop.

I would be interested to see any pics you may have of how you assembled the 2 struts together.

I can send you pics of how I coupled the struts together. Give me a few days since I am of town.

I haven't had any issues with uneven distribution of weight. Sometimes when lowing the load it oscillates a couple of times but after that it works just fine. It hasn't caused a situation that resulted in a bind yet. I have raised and lowered it both with the tent folded up and deployed and haven't had issues.

Maxcustody

Explorer
Yes but made in the usa and very well built. The attention to detail and customer service is second to none IMO. I am impressed with the whole setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles