Post favorite pics of your rig and trailer

TripLeader

Explorer
I don't have any great action shots. (Yet!)
Trailer-Garden%20of%20Eden_zpshyi5p4rl.jpg

4lowdean

Observer
I know it's a poser shot, and the trailer is no where near done, but it's my favorite so far because it's back to being a roller:

R7tANDfl.jpg

It's a surplus military M101 ¾ ton cargo trailer with a commercial utility truck cap bolted to it. Basically a poor man's teardrop. Just had the thing blown apart so I could sand and paint the frame and underside of the cargo box. Next up is rebuilding the rear barn doors, reskinning the front window opening, and of course new wiring.

OldGreen

Here's my work in progress. ..

First naked behind the LJ adventure Jeep:
20150816_143626.jpg

and behind the freeway cruiser WK2:

20150818_195354.jpg

The next phase is to mount the RTT to it and then start with the "systems". Water, PPX, Battery, etc.

It also serves as basecamp/firewood hauler for snow runs. As it turns out, I LOVE the long tongue.

IMG_0299_zpslwiwrili.jpg

Lucky j

Explorer
I curious, why are the wheels so far back? This will make tight turn very complicated and the tonge veri heavy, unles you are llanning to put 80% of the weight above and behind the axle.

But since I know nothing of your project, who Am I to comment?

OldGreen

I curious, why are the wheels so far back? This will make tight turn very complicated and the tonge veri heavy, unles you are llanning to put 80% of the weight above and behind the axle.

But since I know nothing of your project, who Am I to comment?

You nailed it! The RTT will be centered over the axles and the 100qt cooler goes on the rear. So the heavy stuff is centered and rearward. I was also concerned about tight corners, dips and breakovers but it hasn't been an issue so far. I have some experience with 50/50ish trailers and find that they jackknife very easily and tend to wander all over the road. This configuration is dead stable on the road. I also don't have to worry about how I load it since I won't ever put enough weight on it to exceed the 500lb tongue limit of my hitch.

It probably helps to talk a little about my use cases.
1. Back Country Discovery Route sort of adventures that are mostly fire roads and 2 tracks for several days at a time.
2. Taking my daughter's stuff back and forth to college behind the WK2 (that is how it is loaded in the pic behind the white Jeep).
3. Base camp for wheelin' trips. I have a couple of very remote camping spots that are within the trail systems here in WA. The trailer gets parked, camp set up and then we set off in the Jeep.
4. Fire wood/kitchen duty for snow wheelin' trips. Air it down and hit the gas. . .little fella just follows along (benefit of having the same track width as the Jeep. . .1 set of ruts)

So, I don't take it on too many tight, twisty NW trails. The few tight areas that it has seen have been no issue. Heck, if someone can pilot a JK through a trail, my LJ and trailer won't be an issue. ;)

IMG_0821.jpg

I am a newbie to Expedition Portal. I am looking to get a Toyota Tacoma in the near future but currently I have a 2015 VW Passat TDI that I take everywhere. I purchased a Hiker Teardrop 4x8 to haul and camp around. I live in Tennessee and have taken the trailer to Denver, Co., Destin, FL., Savannah, GA., and several other trips. I purchased the Hiker in July and I have already spent 47 nights in it since then. I love the idea of hook and go. I want the luxury of doing some back area camping in it when I get the Toyota.

Marshall

Attachments

• IMG_0748.jpg
    IMG_0748.jpg
    457.5 KB · Views: 53

Lucky j

Explorer
You nailed it! The RTT will be centered over the axles and the 100qt cooler goes on the rear. So the heavy stuff is centered and rearward. I was also concerned about tight corners, dips and breakovers but it hasn't been an issue so far. I have some experience with 50/50ish trailers and find that they jackknife very easily and tend to wander all over the road. This configuration is dead stable on the road. I also don't have to worry about how I load it since I won't ever put enough weight on it to exceed the 500lb tongue limit of my hitch.

It probably helps to talk a little about my use cases.
1. Back Country Discovery Route sort of adventures that are mostly fire roads and 2 tracks for several days at a time.
2. Taking my daughter's stuff back and forth to college behind the WK2 (that is how it is loaded in the pic behind the white Jeep).
3. Base camp for wheelin' trips. I have a couple of very remote camping spots that are within the trail systems here in WA. The trailer gets parked, camp set up and then we set off in the Jeep.
4. Fire wood/kitchen duty for snow wheelin' trips. Air it down and hit the gas. . .little fella just follows along (benefit of having the same track width as the Jeep. . .1 set of ruts)

So, I don't take it on too many tight, twisty NW trails. The few tight areas that it has seen have been no issue. Heck, if someone can pilot a JK through a trail, my LJ and trailer won't be an issue. ;)

Sure thing about having the wheels in the same track as the tow vehicule. Just to let you know, it is possible to have a short tongue and more center axle and still be very stable at any speed. Did 95 miles/ hour with mine behind the yj once, and was stable as a train. It is more well balance weight than tongue lenght issue.

An other tough about tight areas, a city or mall parking lot can also be a pain to go in with a trailer that does not follow the rear axle in a turn.

But again, you built what you wanted and it is a nice trailer. Just wird looking for me. Good job! :)

OldGreen

Sure thing about having the wheels in the same track as the tow vehicule. Just to let you know, it is possible to have a short tongue and more center axle and still be very stable at any speed. Did 95 miles/ hour with mine behind the yj once, and was stable as a train. It is more well balance weight than tongue lenght issue.

An other tough about tight areas, a city or mall parking lot can also be a pain to go in with a trailer that does not follow the rear axle in a turn.

But again, you built what you wanted and it is a nice trailer. Just wird looking for me. Good job! :)

Actually, it tracks very nicely in parking lots, driveways and city streets. It is still a ton shorter than say, a boat trailer. It just doesn't have a big overhang. Not my first rodeo here. For freeway cruising at 80+ through Wyoming, you are absolutely correct about it being a weight balance issue. With the long tongue, I do not have to even thing about it unless I am hauling Gold bricks. . .LOL.

It does look weird. That is correct. Because most people build for aesthetics first and function second.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94