Honda Ruckus

Momrocks

Adventurer
Does anyone on ExPo own a Ruckus? I found one this weekend for sale at a descent price, needs a little freshening though. Looks like it would be a ton of fun to tool around on.

I don't have any experience with them and made the mistake of Googling. I couldn't believe all the aftermarket goodies and gizmos available. Now the thing is stuck in my head. Trying to decide if buying it would be worthwile or the same old slippery slope of a "never really finished" project.

petrolhog

We have one that we are cusomizing in our shop. That thing gets around 100 miles to a gallon, and its a blast to ride around town. Its good for around town commuting.

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
A year or two back, there was a guy from South Korea that crossed the continental US on a Honda Ruckus on an epic 9-month journey.

There are numerous stories on the internet, but I'll link at least one:
http://www.gadling.com/2008/06/03/wan-to-remember-korean-traveler-visits-me-during-his-scooter-tr

That's awesome!! It really puts into perspective that you don't need an expensive (or large) vehicle to have epic adventures. And it makes my 200cc motorcycle seem huge & luxurious!
:bike_rider:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
The Ruckus is great, and is probably the most "expedition" of scooters and it has decent aftermarket support.

Ruckus.jpg

But, same as with any of this class of scooter, the Ruckus is an adventure in urban traffic due to the tiny engine, and it may not be freeway legal where you are.

So what you (and I) really need is the Honda Big Ruckus, the Ruckus on steroids with a 250cc engine and a top speed into the 70s.

BigRuckus.jpg

Sadly, the Big Ruckus--great name--was only sold in the U.S. in 2005 and 2006, and I neglected to buy one. So did most people, so they aren't very common in the used market. (Yeah, I know it's beyond ugly, but I figure that's part of the appeal.)

Pictures from the very useful Motor Scooter Guide website (www.motorscooterguide.net).

Momrocks

Adventurer

Rallyroo,

Thank you and damn you for posting the links to Wan’s trip from totalruckus. I spent 1-2 hours surfing scooter sites and reading about Wan’s journey. I then made the call and agreed to purchase the Scoot. I am now the proud owner of a black 2004 Ruckus with a gas tank and fuel bowl that smell like a sailboat refinishing shop.

I'll trailer it home tonight, order a carb kit and with luck shake it down on the weekend. I should be too old to get giddy like this about new toys...

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Thank you and damn you for posting the links to Wan’s trip from totalruckus. I spent 1-2 hours surfing scooter sites and reading about Wan’s journey. I then made the call and agreed to purchase the Scoot. I am now the proud owner of a black 2004 Ruckus with a gas tank and fuel bowl that smell like a sailboat refinishing shop.

Oh nice! Don't blame me! :) Blame the internet for quick information and research overload that lead to your purchase of a new toy.

Momrocks

Adventurer
Oh nice! Don't blame me! :) Blame the internet for quick information and research overload that lead to your purchase of a new toy.

You're right, it's not your fault it's my own weakness. This project should provide a nice micro stimulus package to all the Ruckus aftermarket folks in the coming months. I'll keep you posted...

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I remember a few years ago a friend sent me a link to Wan's journey with the only words being something like "Be Warned, have plenty of beer in the fridge before you click on this link!"

It was something like 6 hours later when I was finally finished reading the entire thing from start to finish, and like you, and had a Rukus Adventure floating around in my head for about a week afterwards.

Luckily, the wife put the kabash on that thought real quick, but what a cool adventure

Good luck with your new toy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz