The pillow thread

vanderpooch

Authentic Adventurer
Curious what everyone uses for their pillow?

I have been camping mostly solo for years both car and back and always just got by. Now that I have finished my Syncro and am ready to get out on the trail with my family I am looking for something different than clothes in a stuff sack and my jacket for a pillow. I am trying to find something packable but still big enough to prop my head up. I use three big pillows at home and am having a hard time sleeping without.

kai38

Explorer
I have found the key to a good nights sleep away from home either camping or traveling & staying in a hotel is to bring my own pillow from my bed. Get a good stuff sack and put it inside for transporting it.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I have found the key to a good nights sleep away from home either camping or traveling & staying in a hotel is to bring my own pillow from my bed. Get a good stuff sack and put it inside for transporting it.

We've reached the same conclusion - we always bring our pillows from home when camping. We have some large sacks that we use to store our sleeping bags in uncompressed at home - I usually just put the pillows in those. They aren't compressed at all, but I usually can find a place in the rig to stuff them.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I'm a buyer for a large backcountry travel store. Our huge hitter is the Big Agnes Sleeping Giant pillow that has an inflatable core with a memory foam pad. It packs down really small. More of a backcountry luxury. The Thermarest pillow in the biggest size is my favorite car camping pillow. It's a touch soft, but big.

I think the real winner here is the Nemo Fillow. It's a great pillow with little bungees on the back so you can fold a jacket or some other "lifter" under it and not have that filler slip away mid dream. That is my hands down winner. I loooove the Nemo Fillow.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I'm a buyer for a large backcountry travel store. Our huge hitter is the Big Agnes Sleeping Giant pillow that has an inflatable core with a memory foam pad. It packs down really small. More of a backcountry luxury. The Thermarest pillow in the biggest size is my favorite car camping pillow. It's a touch soft, but big.

I think the real winner here is the Nemo Fillow. It's a great pillow with little bungees on the back so you can fold a jacket or some other "lifter" under it and not have that filler slip away mid dream. That is my hands down winner. I loooove the Nemo Fillow.

That Nemo Fillow is pretty cool! First time I have ever seen it. More here: http://www.nemoequipment.com/nemo09-filo-pillow

I use a Thermarest pillow myself and I find it a bit too small - might try the Nemo!

Pete

paulj

Expedition Leader
I use two small ones. A thin 'kids' thermafoam for when I'm on my belly or back, a much thicker block of foam for when I'm on my side. The block is from a 'foam shop', and is just big enough to fit my head. For home use, and car camping I use ordinary pillowcases.

7wt

Expedition Leader
I have a small Thermarest pillow that works pretty well. It has a fish print on it so it's cool. The Nemo pillow looks pretty neat too.

beerhiker

Adventurer
I think I have tried every camp pillow made (except Nemo) with no luck. The start of this season I went to Target and bought their $2.50 bed pillow and a pair of covers for $2. Its perfect! Folds up fairly small and its cheap replace if it were to get ruined. Its been all over the Rockies and even Aalska this year.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
All the compressable camp pillow suck. I use a temperpedic. It goes in my Storm case on top of my clothes. MMMM just the thought of it makes me want to go camping but it's to hot here in Fl still. A few more months for my camp temperpedic.

targa88

Explorer

After a lengthy search: compressible camp pillows were really inadequate. Bought a second identical memory foam pillow for camping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior