Utility trailer conversion

Hello everybody,

I've been reading this form for quite a while now and I must say it is inspiring. There are so many great ideas and solutions to problems.

Here is my story: I've just recently moved across the country this summer to southern Ontario. For most of my life I have really enjoyed going to the family cabin on weekends and vacations but now I live too far away. My wife and I have decided that we are going to get back into camping (there are so many great places to go around here). The plan was to use our pickup, a full size Chevy diesel 4x4, put a bed in the back under the cap and then possibly get a small boat to tow. Our plans were changed when I found a crack in the truck's engine block.

So this is how things have turned out for our camping setup next summer. To replace my truck I bought a minivan off my mom and I plan to use a utility trailer I already have. Now with the minivan we will be limited to campgrounds and good gravel roads but it is better than nothing.

I like the idea of a trailer so that you can pack during the week and then just hitch up and go, so I build an enclosure/slide in for my 4x8 utility trailer. Construction is almost complete just some odds and ends to finish up.

I will add pictures and descriptions immediately following.

These pictures are outside pictures. After getting to the site unhook the trailer and lower all the way down the tongue jack, place jacks at rear then up on tongue jack and down on front jacks.
IMG_2354.jpg

IMG_2356.jpg

Last edited:
This is the bed area inside the camper. The bed is 4x6 leaving 2' at the back to stand up and change. Under the bed there is 19" to the floor leaving plenty of room for storage.

IMG_2357.jpg

The windows are just peices of plywood the slide into notched pieces of 2x3, they are held in with bolts and t-nuts. When open they can be mounted upside down.

IMG_2360.jpg

IMG_2358.jpg

Last edited:
This shelf I think is the best part. It sits on the edge of the trailer and then is help up by chain and s-hooks. I've made a mount for my BBQ and placed a sheet of aluminum underneath. It fits my stove and a sink. I am planing to run a hose from the sink drain into the bush. Also I will gravity feed water from my 5gal jug on the roof of the camper. Maybe I will add a 12volt pump later.

IMG_2362.jpg

Last edited:
That is it for now. I think that this trailer will work great for us, it has 12v dome lights, power inverter and a 12v battery under the bed area. Hopefully this build will give somebody an idea for their next project. I know that this isn't extravagant as many of the other trailers but it will work for me.

Thanks
Jason

Last edited:

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Cogratz on a neat trailer!! Well thought out and looks like it'll ba a blast when you get where you going...with lots of room!

Have a great time :victory:

Thanks for your comments. I tried it out on the driveway last night, it worked perfectly. The neighbors thought we were weird making breakfast on the driveway though... We will have to get used to the low head space above the bed (23"). The dog liked the 2' at the end of the bed on the lower level and could look out the back window. We will be out in full force next spring!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles