Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toyota Van, I need advice quick!

Quote Originally Posted by hinoranger
    Well, I had to get rid of my '84 before I had a chance to find out for sure, but it was starting to overheat at 220k.

I sure hope I can find an explanation my '87 overheating problem besides the head gasket because almost anything else would be simpler to repair, and finally, one of the biggest topics toyotavanpeople is overheating and how to instal a second radiatior.

-your milage may vary!
    Let me make sure I understand. It started to overheat at 220K? Most vehicles never get close to 220K. Did your vehicle have the original radiator, water pump, etc.?

I'm just surprised at the talk of overheating, something we never experienced. It's all news to me, because that was one of the best vehicles we ever had.
    2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4
    OME heavy springs
    Bilstein front struts and rear shocks
    Yokohama Geolander AT-S 245 75r16

Quote Originally Posted by calamaridog
    Let me make sure I understand. It started to overheat at 220K? Most vehicles never get close to 220K. Did your vehicle have the original radiator, water pump, etc.?

I'm just surprised at the talk of overheating, something we never experienced. It's all news to me, because that was one of the best vehicles we ever had.
    Actually if you follow a couple of those links I posted there is a lot of information about adding a second radiator. It seems like the motor used in that van was a little prone to running hot. Couple that with poor air flow around the motor with it jamed in under the floor it was prone to a problem. It probably is at speed where the air is damming around the front and not flowing into the relatively small air inlet for the engine cooling. Then add a heavy foot trying to run it down the road with the motor screaming over 3.5k....Thermal runaway....not enough cooling to do the job.

I bet if they checked the oil temps they would be WAY up there. A oil cooler could probably fix the problem better then a second radiator. It did wonders for my 83 GTI.
    97 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    86 Toyota 4Runner For sale
    Truck Build Thread
    Trailer Build Thread
    Grimmys Adventure Blog

Calimaridog-

you're right, 220k isn't bad, although I would expect nothing less from most Toyotas. Just saying, the van txsurfer's looking at is has 240k, coincidently, the same milage that the hg. let go at in my '87.

I don't doubt that it might have been great when new. But a hard-working motor in such tight quarters is going to need a perfect cooling system.

Grim reeper-

do you have any resources on the 22R in a Vanwagon?

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hinoranger
    Calimaridog-

you're right, 220k isn't bad, although I would expect nothing less from most Toyotas. Just saying, the van txsurfer's looking at is has 240k, coincidently, the same milage that the hg. let go at in my '87.

I don't doubt that it might have been great when new. But a hard-working motor in such tight quarters is going to need a perfect cooling system.

Grim reeper-

do you have any resources on the 22R in a Vanwagon?

thanks.
    Not the 22 R just the turbo set up off it is what Iwas saying. the 22R would be too tall. But the FI should be plug and play on the RET computer.

One of those links had a guy putting the newer privia motor into the Vanwagon.
    97 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    86 Toyota 4Runner For sale
    Truck Build Thread
    Trailer Build Thread
    Grimmys Adventure Blog

Thanks for the clairification. Wasn't reading very carefully.

I think my point is that a motor with over 200k on it may indeed be prone to overheating although ours never even got hot. Any motor with high mileage should have vital components replaced or thoroughly tested, although at that mileage we usually just drive them till they stop working, don't we.

I believe you on the links and I'll do some reading about it sometime. It will be fun to read about those vans, as many fond memories are tied to the trips we took in ours.

The addition of an external oil cooler would be an awesome idea, even if the motor has never run hot. I always have run an external oil cooler on air cooled VW's and have never had a motor run hot. We also used one on my buddies Scirroco (spelling).
    2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4
    OME heavy springs
    Bilstein front struts and rear shocks
    Yokohama Geolander AT-S 245 75r16

I had a 88 Toyota van and sold it with 169,000 miles. At that time nothing went out on the van...nothing. It did get hot somtimes and would get hard to restart but it always did. One of the best auto's I ever had!

Louie
    Ford SuperDuty Crew Cab short bed, 7.3L International Turbo Diesel,325 RWHP, 6 speed, 5" Superlift, 37" BFG BAJA on HMMWV double beadlocks, Bushwacker cut out flares, Custom Flippac camper build, Custom Roof Rack, Custom ARE Aluminum cap M101A3 trailer, FordSuperDuty Pictures

Default 84 Van

I have an '84 Toyota Van, the very first model, all original parts except the battery, starter, alternator, catalytic converter and muffler. Still runs strong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12