Canvas Water Bags

fasteddy47

Adventurer
Anybody know where to get new ones?

desertwaterbag.jpg

XJINTX

Explorer
I would be interested in one or two also :)

back in the day... when we started training for desert operations in the USMC we had them on our vehicles. The sweating process of the bags actually kept the water a lot cooler than just bakeing in the sun containers.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
I still have mine. We used them all the time.
Found them at Hardware stores. I mean REAL Hardware stores. Not the big box ones. Look at the mom/pop shops in your area and see if they have them.

fasteddy47

Adventurer
I haven't seen those for a while.

Maybe try some old time hardware stores or online?

http://www.can-spec.com/canspec/products/products.php?ID=14

Thanks for the link Dan.....$52 each!!! and 2 minimum.....Well at least they are the original makers from the good ole days!!!

I still remember watching my Dad cure them..... big metal wash tub, about a pound of sugar......

Fill tub boiling hot water.... fill bags with hot water,,,, 1/4 lb sugar in each bag, 1/2 lb sugar in the tub...

Let bags sit for 48 hours.... rinse thoroughly.. Presto a water bag that hung off the front of the car ....only leaked a few drops a minute. Water always tasted so good from these things, nice and cool.... Hmmmmm gonna order a couple....:safari-rig:

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i have 2 that ive had for a long time, its pretty neat what evap cooling can do.

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
Fill tub boiling hot water.... fill bags with hot water,,,, 1/4 lb sugar in each bag, 1/2 lb sugar in the tub...

Let bags sit for 48 hours.... rinse thoroughly.. Presto a water bag that hung off the front of the car ....only leaked a few drops a minute. Water always tasted so good from these things, nice and cool.... Hmmmmm gonna order a couple....:safari-rig:
What is the purpose of "curing" them with sugar? I've never heard of that before. Does it affect the taste of the water?

JP

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I've never heard of the curing thing either.

I've been hoarding a Desert water bag for ages. Glad to know I can still get a new one.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
I've not heard of curing them , either. We just filled with water the night before to let it swell and topped them off in the morning before taking off.

fasteddy47

Adventurer
All the water bags my dad used were Pioneer Brand, they had a picture on the front of a guy tilting a bag up to his mouth and underneath it said "A cool drink on a hot day"

According to my Brother, my Old Man cured these just like all the rest of the farmers who used them.....No idea why they used sugar....but when I get some new bags.,,,, I will be following the Hot Water and Sugar procedure.

Cheers
Eddy

water bags

I've found one in white horse feed & tack years ago. Asked for another one & they could not find one. I have found sevral on e-bay. While I was in the "storm" they where the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles