what salt/peper shakers do you use?

4 play

Observer
I'm a over the road truck driver and I cook about every meal in the truck. (to save money) I buy the salt and pepper in the cheap package deal disposable. They seam to always spill over come open. I would like to have some thing where you can carry more than a weeks worth of s/p any ideas?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
For salt, I use a shaker top that snaps onto a 35mm can. I've had them for years, and I'm not positive where I bought it, but I think Coghlans makes a set.

Yep, found these with a quick search:
http://theoutdoorworld.com/products2.cfm?id=1210&zmam=53301494&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=1210
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___23105

For pepper, well I'm a snob about pepper so I won't buy it pre-ground, it just doesn't add enough flavor. For my camp box I buy those pepper-with-its-own-grinder from McCormick:
http://www.mccormick.com/Products/Herbs-and-Spices/Grinders/Black-Peppercorn-Grinder.aspx

Last edited:

sinuhexavier

Explorer
swissspice001%20024.jpg

Available at Expedition Exchange.

Desert Dan

Explorer
Maybe Pelican makes some..LOL

I use film canisters for holding my spices or some plastic salt shakers that have snap on lids to avoid spillage

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
swissspice001%20024.jpg

Available at Expedition Exchange.

I got mine from Will at Sierra Expeditions probably a year or more ago. I LOVE it.

I replaced the black pepper with cayenne from day one and it's been with me on dozens of trips - from Prague to Salzburg to Toronto to a trail in BC. I love it so much it's now on full time duty at home too.

Amazing how a silly little salt and pepper shaker created an emotional attachment.

Pete

James86004

Expedition Leader
We recently found these disposable salt and pepper grinders at Trader Joes that are about the size of the cardboard tube in the center of a roll of toilet paper. We used them on our last camping trip, and they worked awesome, have a nicely fitting lid, and were cheap. Fresh ground pepper is so much better. They have replaced our other shakers which could only use pre-ground stuff.

They look like this one, except one is black pepper and one is sea salt:

881752378_20bc7590ca.jpg

targa88

Explorer
I got mine from Will at Sierra Expeditions probably a year or more ago. I LOVE it.

I replaced the black pepper with cayenne from day one and it's been with me on dozens of trips - from Prague to Salzburg to Toronto to a trail in BC. I love it so much it's now on full time duty at home too.

Amazing how a silly little salt and pepper shaker created an emotional attachment.

Pete
Available @ MEC North of the border... don't know what I would do without a bit of salt & pepper on the trail!

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I found a grinder made by GSI somewhere, that's what I used. I wonder if a second one could be used to grind sea salt... :)

JackW

Explorer
I found a grinder made by GSI somewhere, that's what I used. I wonder if a second one could be used to grind sea salt... :)

Trader Joes has a Sea salt grinder for $1.99 in addition to the peppercorn grinder - I picked up a pair last weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior