Front Runner Rack on 110 Pick up

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
During my UK trip I managed to hook up with an old friend Andrew Borsberry. Andrew was born in Zambia and has lived most of his life in the bush. He's one of the few people I know who can live like a king in the wild with his only tool being a knife.

Andrew owns a company that makes canopies for Defenders http://www.wolfcanopy.com/ and has been was a pioneer in developing some of the now classic safari routes in Southern Africa.

The day we met up in West London Andrew was working on getting a Front Runner rack on his 110. It's all in his master plan for kitting the Land Rover out for a trip back to Southern Africa in 2012.

IMG_0274.jpg

The quality of the rack was amazing, all solid material and good welds. The design is well thought out and the accessories slide into the channel easily. We managed to work out how to fit 3 full size tables below the rack, something Front Runner had told us was impossible, so we were feeling very pleased with ourselves.

After we removed the RTT and old rack we set about getting the main frame of the roof rack up on the lid of the 110. The enclosed instructions said the feet should be fitted and the rack dropped in place, but we though this would only be possible with either a hoist, fork lift, or lots of very tall people helping. Our solution was to protect the roof with the mattress from the RTT and the cardboard the roof rack came in and slide it into place.

We then fitted the feet in situ. and then mounted the RTT to the Front Runner tent brackets. We'd used a template to drill the holes in the bottom of the tent and the process went flawlessly.

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

With the tent aligned on the rack and the rack aligned over the roof we tightened everything down. I liked the design of the feet on the rack they clamped the whole setup to the rain gutters very well.

18aug09-camping025.jpg

The rear of the rack extends over the canopy and it will be tied into the frame either by two rear ladders or a rear roll bar.

18aug09-camping039.jpg

After half a days work Andrew and I felt a little thirsty so we headed off for lunch to The Angel in Henley on Thames, a lovely old pub right on the banks of the river.

18aug09-camping042.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

I really like it. I have considered a similar set up if I ever got a 4x4 truck and a camper shell. Very well thought out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles