Anyone have/use a Sequoia

fnjeep314

Observer
I have been a snooper on here for months now and after reading people build ups and expeditions I decided to finally sign up. I have to admit some of them make me jealous!

I have been set for years on wanting to get an 80. I had a 2000 4Runner a few years back and I am kicking myself for getting rid of it.

Now, I have seen plenty of Tacos, 4Runners, and FJs(40's, 55's, 60's, 80's, etc), but I have not seen any Sequoia's. Arent they basically a Tundra, just with a body? Would it be just like having a slightly larger 80?

I dont know if this is in the right section, but I thought its a Toyota section, maybe that will work!

Thank you for any insight!!

fnjeep314

Observer
^^ Nice! Well I dont have a family yet, but I am "planning ahead!" However I am interested in doing a trip to the Arctic Circle in the near future with my dad and 2 uncles, so the space would be fantastic! None of us have ever been to Alaska, but all of us want to go. It seems a Sequoia might be a bit more comfortable than maybe an 80.

CYi5

Explorer
There's a link somewhere on here to a sequoia and a new tundra that drove around the world.

rdb4Runner

Observer
I have a Sequoia, wish I could build it up too...but I'm just getting started on the 4Runner and Sequoia is big for anything off the beaten track in England. I do love my poor mans Land Cruiser though:wings:

Dipodomys

Observer
Be advised that Sequoia's are GAS HOGS. A coworker of mine just traded hers in for an F-150 4x4 crewcab. She got 12 mpg with the Sequoia and gets 22 with the Ford. What's the deal, Toyota?

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
I think it would be a great platform. Sure the Landcruiser is technically more overbuilt, but I drive a 4runner and try as I may I can't break it.
1st Generation Tundras seem to hold up great offroad so a Sequoia should as well. Dr. Ed has one, but I think it just has some all terrains, maybe a small lift at most.
Go for it! :ylsmoke:

Ruffin' It

Explorer
I've heard Bill Burke sometimes uses one for training on the less hardcore stuff. That is as much of an endorsment as I'd need.

roamingaz

Explorer
I have a '05 Sequoia and it is 2 wheel drive but so far no problems getting into the backcountry even with my girlfriend driving it!
I have my 4wheel drive pickup built for adventures but when the whole family wants to go we bring two vehicles, the last trip we went on my girlfriend decided she likes driving offroad so we are planning to build the Sequoia into a mild offroad prerunner with a RTT, BFG-AT tires, small lift, better shocks , rear ARB locker, and some basic body armor. I already have most of the cool electronic gadgets for the interior.
I think it will be a awesome truck when I get done with it, even with 2 wheel drive:Wow1:

rdb4Runner

Observer
Be advised that Sequoia's are GAS HOGS. A coworker of mine just traded hers in for an F-150 4x4 crewcab. She got 12 mpg with the Sequoia and gets 22 with the Ford. What's the deal, Toyota?

She should have released the e-brake when driving. That's way too low for a Sequoia without any problems driven normally.

spikemd

Explorer

Unless she was flooring it all the time, 12 mpg just isn't right. It has the same V8 and tranny as the Land Cruiser and weighs about the same (200lbs more). It is rated at 14/17 which is probably about right. My 4Runner has the same V8 but with the updated 5-speed auto and I get around 16 in town and up to 19 on the freeway with a roof rack. It all depends on how heavy your right foot is.

Besides, you aren't getting a full-size SUV to be fuel efficient...

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
Unless she was flooring it all the time, 12 mpg just isn't right. It has the same V8 and tranny as the Land Cruiser and weighs about the same (200lbs more). It is rated at 14/17 which is probably about right. My 4Runner has the same V8 but with the updated 5-speed auto and I get around 16 in town and up to 19 on the freeway with a roof rack. It all depends on how heavy your right foot is.

Besides, you aren't getting a full-size SUV to be fuel efficient...

My '97 Yukon (6500 lbs, 5.7L, auto, air) actually GETS 14/17. 19 on the highway with the AC off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles