Looking for RTT advice

SoCal_80

Explorer
I have an 80 series cruiser with a Hannibal roof rack. The rack limits me to a 48 wide tent. Up until this point i was looking at the Eezi Awn 1200. Yesterday i noticed Camping Labs released their 47" wide tent for $650 shipped which is $1000 less than the Eezi Awn. I realize there is a difference in quality, but my needs are as follows:

- I need a tent!
- I will probably only be able to get out on 5-6 trips a year where i will use the tent for 1-4 nights per trip.
- Weather will be mild with some wind, rain and light snow here and there.
- I don't have a huge problem paying for the Eezi Awn if i will really see a difference in long lasting durability and quality. In other words, if i am going to have to replace the $650 tent in 2 years i would rather step up now than later.

Any advice on these tents or if you know of another narrow tent less than 50" wide would be great. Thanks in advance!

Bugspray

Adventurer
Simpson 3

I'm really digging my new ARB Simpson 3. The improvements they made on the Simpson 2 are noticeable. Very burly construction, relatively easy set-up, lots of room, comfy mattress, etc. I've only had it for a few weeks, we'll see how it holds up to Wyoming weather over the next few years......all in all I've been very happy, highly recommend.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I'm really digging my new ARB Simpson 3. The improvements they made on the Simpson 2 are noticeable. Very burly construction, relatively easy set-up, lots of room, comfy mattress, etc. I've only had it for a few weeks, we'll see how it holds up to Wyoming weather over the next few years......all in all I've been very happy, highly recommend.

Well if you consider the ARB burly construction then you will be ok with the Camping Lab tent...they are made in the same factory! :elkgrin:

Seriously though, we have had our CL tent for a year and a half now and spent probably close to 35 nights in it so far and it is in the same condition it was when we got it. No rips, no problems with zippers, etc. I've never owned an Eezi Awn so I can't really compare but to me for the price the CL can't be beat!

DrMoab

Explorer

You like the mattress? That has been my one complaint. I found it very uncomfortable. Other than that and a couple of small problems that probably came from rough shipping and not built quality I have loved mine. BTW ARB and Kurt from Cruiser Outfitters are both top notch getting stuff taken care of if you do have a problem.

SoCal_80

Explorer
Thanks guys!
So from what i can tell and from what i have read, i shouldn't have any issues or regrets going with the CampingLab option....Right ???

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
... i shouldn't have any issues or regrets going with the CampingLab option....Right ???
No regrets here and Fernando is awesome! If you have questions or doubts he will have answers.
hcamp3.JPG

I think the quality is very good and plan on many years of use.

SoCal_80

Explorer
Thank you for the comments guys. Ya, from what i have read Fernando is a good guy and he will stand behind his product! So, it looks like i will be placing an order with them soon!

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
In other words, if i am going to have to replace the $650 tent in 2 years i would rather step up now than later.

I have had my Camping Lab RTT for a year now, and it's been on 5 trips (I think), and it is showing no signs of needing to be replaced any time in the forseeable future.

No regrets here and Fernando is awesome! If you have questions or doubts he will have answers.
x2 on Fernando is AWESOME!

Last edited:

opie

Explorer
I may be in the market come Feb. I like the Camping Lab tent and if I decide to go with an RTT instead of a pop-up, thats probably the way Ill head.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I am going on my 3rd year with my RTT on two vehicles, which I bought in europe and is the same as a camping labs, made by the same company. I have no complaints with mine other than the cover, which they have upgraded so it should be a non issue for a new purchase. I have spent close to 50 nights in this RTT in heavy rain, heavy wind, snow, and ice. No problems whatsoever. The longest stint was 10 days, and the mattress got a little stiff on the last day or two, but it was just my back not being used to it for a prolonged time.

DSCN0612.jpg

DSCN0324.jpg

~James

SoCal_80

Explorer
Thank you again everyone for the thumbs up for Camping Labs! I am still holding out just a bit that someone will sell their used Eezi Awn 1200...But in the event that does not happen, i am going to give CL a call.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Wow, 47" That is a very narrow tent. I guess if you are only going to be sleeping in it alone then that would be great... Just thinking of my wife and I in that small of a tent, no way we could fit. Then again we are also both over 6' tall, so that is an issue for me...

I have to say, however, that is a steller price. I am amazed. I would be very tempted to pick up one of these for my kid in the future. humm... got the wheels turning now... haha

FireGuy

Adventurer
I have an 80 series cruiser with a Hannibal roof rack. The rack limits me to a 48 wide tent. Up until this point i was looking at the Eezi Awn 1200. Yesterday i noticed Camping Labs released their 47" wide tent for $650 shipped which is $1000 less than the Eezi Awn. I realize there is a difference in quality, but my needs are as follows:

- I need a tent!
- I will probably only be able to get out on 5-6 trips a year where i will use the tent for 1-4 nights per trip.
- Weather will be mild with some wind, rain and light snow here and there.
- I don't have a huge problem paying for the Eezi Awn if i will really see a difference in long lasting durability and quality. In other words, if i am going to have to replace the $650 tent in 2 years i would rather step up now than later.

Any advice on these tents or if you know of another narrow tent less than 50" wide would be great. Thanks in advance!

Will the rack require you to mount the tent with it unfolding to the rear of the vehicle because the Hannibal has high sides?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier