Sportmobiles

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
I spotted these two sportmobiles at the socal cross race in Bonelli Park yesterday. very cool, anyone own them here?
3937635375_b5493f9a7d_o.jpg

3937635289_3497d7d7cd_o.jpg

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Yep Dynatrac Pro Rock 60 up front and Ford Factory axle in the rear.
Then SMB uses ARB Dakar springs made to their specs (they have to order like 50 at a time or something) and OME Shocks.

I was very impressed when I spent a couple of days at the factory seeing what goes into their 4x4 conversion. Plus the Atlas Transfer Case is just such a beefy hunk of aluminum :)

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Yeah those aren't portal axles. The 2008+ Calipers are gigantic outback though. Like Lance said above they come with Dynatrac Pro Rock 60's upfront and you get the factory 60 outback.. there's upgrades for that too.

The funny thing about SMB's is that they all look alike. When we had ours, we received numerous emails about us possibly being places we weren't lol

Lance , when you getting yours?

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
Could have sworn the axle was offset up higher- I guess those calipers give the illusion ... still an impressive rig.
that new Ford looks good with the squared off front end and sharper lines.

1leglance

Mine will be ready a few minutes before SEMA in early Nov :)
There are 25 work days left (counter on my laptop) till SEMA and we started the project about 2 weeks behind schedule. However the guys at SMB from Alan the owner down to los hombres en la fabrica know it is the DE rig and are working hard. I was very impressed when I was there (which reminds me to update the build thread). They have tried really hard to keep the mobility market in mind and have even thought of things I missed, great guys.

I would have loved to have an extra month to do some more custom stuff during the build, adding extra sound/heat insulation and such, but it will have plenty of goodies when finished.

Mine is the Voyager fixed top so I am sure there will be lots of Ice Cream truck comments in my future.

1leglance

I went with Expo white of course :)
Mainly because they don't make Handicap Symbol blue like my FJ had and I don't have the extra money to paint/wrap it. Not to mention that is alot of real estate to heat up with a darker color.

As to the floor plan, that was a real struggle...I needed something that was functional across a wide range of physical mobility issues.
I am an amputee and have trouble bending over. I would prefer overhead storage.
Wheelchair users are lower but also have trouble getting things out of cubbies and overhead is out of reach.
Need a large open area for wheelchairs.
Need to seat 3 with solid visibility.
Need to sleep 3-4
Need a fridge that opens from the top so no bending over and no opening a door into a wheelchair.

layoutEB70.jpg

This is a custom variation of the EB70. That is the best thing about working with Sportsmobile West. Alan, Jonathan and all the guys will do anything custom you want to make it work just for you.

I am working on the pics & update to the build thread. Watch for more info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles