Volcano II Stove

dirty Bakers

Conservative
Well I wish I could help, My Dad bought a few for my brothers and I but he is saving them for Christmas. What did you think of volcano one? I hope two has improvements on portability and such.

BIGGUY

Adventurer
I don't know about this model, but I have had one of the original Volcano and the smaller Volcano stoves for quite a few years now. They work great. They are efficient, they burn while staying fairly cool so you can set them on a table without worries.

I've grilled on them, used pans and griddles on them, and they hold a dutch oven nicely too. The bigger one holds my deep 12" and the smaller holds either an 8" or 10", I can't remember for sure.

I just ordered one through a special "Preparedness Month" promotion through work. I think the propane option could be rather nice. We'll see.

Binder Lou

Observer
I bought one about a year ago. So far I've cooked in my 12" dutch oven and with my wok on it. It did both very well. After cooking I've used it as a fire pit with small pieces of firewood. It did that very well also. When finished it's easy to clean up and store in its bag. Overall it's a great little unit. I've not seen any reason to invest in the propane conversion.

cactusjk

Explorer
Perfect. That is exatly what I plan on using it for. How does the 12" dutch oven (assume with legs) sit in the grill? Does it rest on the sides in a way that it is above the coals? Any other recommendations on dutch oven use?

I bought one about a year ago. So far I've cooked in my 12" dutch oven and with my wok on it. It did both very well. After cooking I've used it as a fire pit with small pieces of firewood. It did that very well also. When finished it's easy to clean up and store in its bag. Overall it's a great little unit. I've not seen any reason to invest in the propane conversion.

Binder Lou

Observer
Cactus... my 12" DO sits with the two bosses for the wire handle resting on the edge of the Volcano II. Sitting on those two points the DO hangs inside over the briquets but the legs don't quite reach the briquets at the bottom. You will need to adjust your cooking times and heat loads as the VII is more efficient than the DO sitting on a pan. It's not a great difference but worth keeping an eye while you get your cook times fixed in your head.
The old big Volcano has three screws that allow you to adjust down to a 10" DO but you can't do that with the VII unless you create some hanging method of your own. I haven't seen the need for that.
As far as DO recomendations the best one I've found is to just use it. I set mine up on the patio at home and get my practice in where I'm not to far from the beer in the fridge.

dirty Bakers

Conservative
Merry Christmas to me. I recived my Volcano 2 this morning and I am stoked to cook on it. We should have an Arizona volcano cook off/camp out when the weather warms up.

kclark421

Observer
I bought this from Costco last week and I'm not overly thrilled about its grilling capabilities. I grilled some ribs, hot dogs and used the Dutch Oven this weekend, it worked well for the DO and the hot dogs. The ribs just did not turn out the way I like them. The volcano just did not get hot enough to make the outside of the ribs crispy, and I loaded the grate with charcoal, for me there is not enough control in how you can cook with the charcoal, the only control is the air mixture, no control over raising or lowering the grate and the "NEW" Lid looks like kind of flaky to me. I use a Green Egg for my home BBQ and I guess that has me spoiled, they make a small Egg but it would still be to awkward to carry around on trips. Time to take the Volcano back and start saving for a Snow Peak BBQ.

Looking for user feedback/recommendations on the Volcano II.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
With fresh, hot coals and the vents open I find it sears nicely. I regularly sear 1.5-2" thick strips or ribeyes and then close down the vents to about 3/4 and cook them a little slower. I've done Kalbi on there too. Even with all the marinade still on the ribs, it still gets them cripsy.

exedition trophy 2008_appetizer competition_1.jpg

exedition trophy 2008_appetizer competition_2.jpg

dirty Bakers

Conservative
I used it and love it. even started the cake at home and loaded the unit still cooking in the truck and drove to grandmas house while it cooked in the back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier