Mobile base camp build

Arya Ebrahimi

Adventurer
I then moved on to the airbag and bump stop mounting. I wanted the airbag outboard as close to the hub as reasonably possible to reduce the leverage effect on the trailing arms. I then gave the bumpstop second priority, placing it slightly ahead of the axle centerline on the trailing arm. I will need to space the bumpstop down slightly to properly limit max compression on the airbag.

Next up is shocks and limit straps. Then I need to reattach the tongue as it had to come off to allow the suspension crossmember to go in the right place.

I'm optimistically hoping for a test tow this weekend :smiley_drive:

Attachments

• 2011-03-02_22-17-24_652 (Medium).jpg
    2011-03-02_22-17-24_652 (Medium).jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 166
  • 2011-03-02_22-17-38_292 (Medium).jpg
    2011-03-02_22-17-38_292 (Medium).jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 172
  • 2011-03-02_22-17-48_724 (Medium).jpg
    2011-03-02_22-17-48_724 (Medium).jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 2011-03-02_22-20-17_110 (Medium).jpg
    2011-03-02_22-20-17_110 (Medium).jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 173

deepmud

Adventurer
The solution looks solid. I don't think you will need the adjustment unless it were to compensate for bushing wear or something, and you can just replace 'em if they wear.

onelow1ton

Adventurer
looks good so far. I was looking at the pivot of the trailing arms and was wondering if and how much the wheel moves forward and back from fully inflated to fully compressed? Because it looks like deflated the wheel would be back and when inflated it looks like it would pull forward a bit and i know that does not really matter on a trailer but just something to think about when making fenders so there is enough room.

just wondering not a criticizing i think it looks very good I'm just curious.

Arya Ebrahimi

Adventurer
looks good so far. I was looking at the pivot of the trailing arms and was wondering if and how much the wheel moves forward and back from fully inflated to fully compressed? Because it looks like deflated the wheel would be back and when inflated it looks like it would pull forward a bit and i know that does not really matter on a trailer but just something to think about when making fenders so there is enough room.

just wondering not a criticizing i think it looks very good I'm just curious.

I was concerned about the same thing, but when all was said and done, it only moves front to back less than a 1/2" through the cycle. The good thing is, it swings back as it swings up, so it should absorb hits nicely.

deepmud

Adventurer
even leaf springs move back as it cycles - assuming the hanger is in the back - hence the "shackle reversal" done on Jeeps and Suzukis to make them ride better - tho' it does cause trouble with tires swinging back and up into the back of the front fenders, just like onelow1ton was mentioning. It's the long, flat arms of Arya's suspension keeping this from being an issue. If the arms were shorter and angled more, like the typical rubber-torsion suspension, there would be much more fore and aft movement. My own Subaru IRS trailer has quite a bit of "swing-back" - not an issue for me as the fender is the whole flat-bed of the trailer :D

Sorry if it seems like a hi-jack of the build thread - I just like when I find threads with all the techy-stuff asked and answered (and even argued about) all one place ....+:coffee:....it's good stuff.

Arya - for future thought - what if your suspension was a stand-alone unit? Or two halves - You could adjust toe or even remount it forward or backwards to adjust loading on the tongue. I realize it's late for that now - but what do you think?

Arya Ebrahimi

Adventurer
Sorry if it seems like a hi-jack of the build thread - I just like when I find threads with all the techy-stuff asked and answered (and even argued about) all one place ....+:coffee:....it's good stuff.

Not at all, I agree, good tech discussion is what these forums are for IMO.

Arya - for future thought - what if your suspension was a stand-alone unit? Or two halves - You could adjust toe or even remount it forward or backwards to adjust loading on the tongue. I realize it's late for that now - but what do you think?

That's actually a brilliant idea, why didn't I think of that? :rolleyes: :p

It's actually not too late(suspension crossmember is only tacked in), but I'm not sure it will be necessary. If it becomes necessary that will be a great solution. Thanks for the idea!

onelow1ton

Adventurer
yeah i was thinking it might not have been much swing back from the length and position of the links i was just wondering for my own thoughts on building mine. thanks and keep up the good work I'm hoping to finely get started on my trailer in the next couple weeks

oh and i really like the way you wrapped the bushing mount looks good and is a very good idea

GJStringert

Observer
WOW!! I just started reading this thread, and I am thoroughly impressed! You certainly have some neat ideas going on, here! I am looking forward to seeing the end result.

Keep up the good work!

Arya Ebrahimi

Adventurer
The air suspension works!!! :wings::wings:

I pushed hard tonight to get the bracketry all finish welded and the bags installed. I just put temporary schraeder valves on each bag for now, but it's a HUGE milestone for me to see it all working :smiley_drive:

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
If you don't mind, which air bags did you use? How much lift do they have?

That's something I want to get done on my this spring since the leaf springs lift it a little too high for the tent once I unload everything...

Oh, and I have to say, nice welds. I wish I could get mind looking that nice.

Thanks

Don

-

Arya Ebrahimi

Adventurer
Don, the airbags I used are Air Lift Dominator D2600's. They have a 2600# load capacity and a 9" stroke. They recommend limiting the compressed height to 3" to prevent damage to the bag. That's why I installed the bumpstops. Max expanded length is 12".

Thanks for the compliment on the welds. It just takes practice. I'm still not 100% satisfied with my welding, but the more I do it, the more it improves. I've been welding very sporatically as a hobbyist for close to 10 years now, and I took an intro to metal working class in college(time well spent!). Other than that, it's just practice practice practice.

So after I got the air suspension working I put the tires on and dropped the trailer down on the bumpstops to see where things ended up in terms of kitchen counter height. One of the main reasons in doing the airbag suspension was to allow me to deflate the bags in camp, bringing the trailer down to a reasonable working height. I'm happy to report that it was a success! The counter top height WITH 1/2" cutting board material on top is 37.5". It's 1.5" higher than a standard kitchen counter, which for me (6'3") means it's just about perfect. :D

I made a little vid of airing down and back up last night, I'll try to get it hosted somewhere today.

Arya Ebrahimi

Adventurer
Here's the video. Kinda lame, but I was excited :wings:

I anticipate that the bags will deflate much faster once the proper air system is installed. In the video I was depressing the needle of the schraeder valves with the tip of a speed square :p

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vQZ8nICEx8"]YouTube - Testing the air suspension[/ame]

G-force

Adventurer
One of the main reasons in doing the airbag suspension was to allow me to deflate the bags in camp, bringing the trailer down to a reasonable working height.

This is, besides the ride quality on and offroad, one of the most important reasons for choosing air suspension for me as well. Just to get the workarea down to a proper level.

The trailer looks truly great!! Looking forward to the rest of it.

Arya Ebrahimi

Adventurer
The tongue is on, and the trailer is now sitting on(only) its tires and a jackstand under the tongue!

I need to finish the coupler attachment and then I will take it around the block tonight for its first tow! I'm super excited :wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94