Fun time "Overhaulin" a Jeep

You go outside and find Chip Foose loading your xx model Jeep on a wrecker:Wow1: He tells you are getting "Overhauled", what do you tell him to do with your jeep? Remember you are spending some else's money:wings:

Weasel

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
You go outside and find Chip Foose loading your xx model Jeep on a wrecker:Wow1: He tells you are getting "Overhauled", what do you tell him to do with your jeep? Remember you are spending some else's money:wings:

Weasel

I tell him to put it back on the ground and find someone else's car. If I don't tighten every bolt myself, I don't trust the work.

But if he's just funding my work -
Cummins turbodiesel, 4 speed OD tranny, cruise control, LSD with e-locker for the rear axle, mild tint to the windows, power door locks and windows, Mac Mini-based carputer with GPS and sat internet, resprayed satin brown with satin black trim, rear disc brakes, sliders and armor all around. Oh, and power seats from a '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Add full float to the rear axle build.

Add:

compound low

4 link long arm front

easy to use, strong, high clearance, OEM looking rear swing away for the spare and misc.

front and rear winch

plus other stuff I'm forgetting.

99wj

Adventurer
  • new front chromoly shafts
  • ARB bumper front
  • custom rear bumper with swing away
  • e lockers front & rear
  • 4 inch lift, OME
  • 33 MT's
  • kick *** gps setup *edit, haha i didnt think that would be censored :)
  • roof rack
  • sliders, skids and armor
  • warn's front and rear
  • compresser setup
  • engle fridge

pretty much, all the things i'm gonna do eventually.

Weasel's jeep

Start with my 89 XJ
Suspension seats wide enough to fit my butt!
Good stereo but no 3 megawatt amps and speakers eating all the cargo area
D44 chromo ox locked front and rear
Real armor
12v power everywhere
Real roof rack
Well designed front winch and rear swingaway bumpers
Foose 1 off wheels and 33" MT tires
Quality 4-5" long arm lift
NOWf or the crazy part...................wait for it

A Cadilac CTS 2 litre V6 and transmission tied to a divorced STAK 3 transfer case:Wow1:

Weasel

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
JK D44 axles front and rear

rocktrac 4:1 transfercase

LEAVE THE DENTS AND PAINT AS THEY ARE!

rear bumper and tire carrier. rear winch

roof rack

new speakers all around.

06 Jeep commander!

alosix

Expedition Leader
I tell him to put it back on the ground and find someone else's car. If I don't tighten every bolt myself, I don't trust the work.

But if he's just funding my work -
Cummins turbodiesel, 4 speed OD tranny, cruise control, LSD with e-locker for the rear axle, mild tint to the windows, power door locks and windows, Mac Mini-based carputer with GPS and sat internet, resprayed satin brown with satin black trim, rear disc brakes, sliders and armor all around. Oh, and power seats from a '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

having watched the show a ton and catching them work in person 2x at Sema and getting to look over several of the overhaulin cars in person Chip's team is one of the few I'd let do work on one of my vehicles.

The first step would be
1.) Call Dynatrac for some prorock 60s :)
2.) AA, might as well get a 4spd atlas under there.
3.) Make sure Jim Frens is part of the build team. Let him do a 1 off suspension
4.) It needs a hemi (everything needs a hemi)

Jason

computeruser

Explorer
OK, so we want to overhaul my TJ...

Swap an oil burner, NV4500, and an Atlas; extra points if we can get 25+mpg out of the deal. No computers, please; Michigan doesn't inspect or emissions test, so we're cool there.

A snorkel is a must. Make sure everything is vented and sealed as necessary to keep the water at bay. An extra-capacity gas tank (or tanks) would be nifty - I wonder, can a little Jeep have 500 mile fuel range?

A solid but tucked-in-close roof rack would be nice, and nicer still if it can be easily removed for summertime/non-travel use with the softtop. Limb risers would be useful, especially if they're going to bother to repaint. Oh yeah, we're keeping the factory orange color.

I think I'll be fine with 255/85/16 and a mild lift, with axles that can handle what the diesel + granny 1st + t-case can throw at it. A nice swing-away tire carrier+jerry can carrier would be appreciated. Make sure the springs can handle some weight on the back end when I'm towing stuff or loaded for a week of self-sufficiency.

If they want to throw in an AT trailer and RTT, too, I'd definitely be game.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
You roll over and go back to sleep... you dont see Chip till it's already done.

But i would love to work for the man.. i fight back tears watching some of those episodes.(Did you see the son/father and the 67 Chevelle?!!) Yeah, i'm soft..

ckale1

Observer
I think I would show him pic's of OverlandXJ, Stumptaco, EricsXJ and XXXpedition. Have him take the best mods from those rigs and go from there. My only variance would be to paint it the tan color on the new FJ's. I guess some 44's front and rear would be nice, but i dont need anything parts are going to be hard to find in BFE.

Chris

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I think I would show him pic's of OverlandXJ, Stumptaco, EricsXJ and XXXpedition. Have him take the best mods from those rigs and go from there. My only variance would be to paint it the tan color on the new FJ's. I guess some 44's front and rear would be nice, but i dont need anything parts are going to be hard to find in BFE.

Chris

:eek: Aw schuuuks..

Thanks Chris, you just became my 2nd favorite person in Charlotte. :ylsmoke:

Nightkrawler

Observer
AEV Brute Kit
AEV highline kit
Cummins 4bt turbo
4l80e and stack 3 speed
4" Long arm with coilovers
17" double bead locks w/ 2 spares
volvo Portal Axles
39" bfg baja TA's
hard bed cover with bike rack mounted
AT Trailer w/ RTT and full expo kit
and some fresh paint
GPS
x2 on the onboard macputer
:elkgrin:

Last edited:

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Recipe for my '98 TJ: Replace the frame with a brand new one that's for a 70 series Land Cruiser. Same with the drivetrain, diesel engine, body (troopy). Add lockers, sensible suspension, long range fuel tanks, bumpers and modify the interior to add plenty of well designed storage and sleepability. A roof rack for kayaks would be nice, too.

:peepwall:

Cheers,
Graham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles