Stick with Isuzu?

THEPATRIOT

Hi everybody,just joined this great site after much lurking!I'm looking to build(slowly)a good solid DD/expedition machine.I picked up this '98 Trooper from the original owner w/94K for $500-.The drivetrain is good,the interior is super nice and it has the G80 lsd.I'd like a mild lift/tires,bull bar and snorkel ect..When funds permit.I've been cleaning the underside up and changing fluids.I want a rig i can keep for a LONG time,but i'm worried about raising an "orphan".Should i be???Here's a pic(on jackstands)

Attachments

• phpvSLyZZPM.jpg
    phpvSLyZZPM.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 251

GreenToys

Observer
Hello fellow Northeastener. Welcome to ExPo!
That's a nice find you have there and for the price (thumbs-up). Well you started on the right track brotha, fluid change, maybe an overall tune-up, change all the belts including timing belt (if not chain). Yeah, from the pic, it looks like it's asking for some ARB goodies up front ;)
I used to have an Isuzu, a '93 Amigo with the smaller 2.3L I4, a DD and that puppy never ever let me down. I got like 260k miles out it, if not for the needed clutch work and whole exhaust replacement, I'm probably still be driving it (ok I'm cheap like that! :)). So now my DD is a hand-me-down, my wife's rav4.
Anyway, congrats with your new baby, let me know if you need anything and maybe we'll cross tracks one of these days :smiley_drive:.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
THose are great trucks. I have no experience with those particullar gen's of truck but I hear nothing but good. I had an older Trooper and it was a Great truck minus the Chevy v6. I say build off that thing, it already looks lifted and like it;s waiting for bigger tires. Add some sliders, bumpers, and a rack and go for it. I think you're gonna be very happy with that truck.

Cheers

Dave

Maddmatt

Explorer
I'm with these guys, run what you brung. I had a '97 Rodeo with the LSD rear end - loved it. Check the valve covers though, mine suffered quite a bit of weepage so I had to stay ahead of the oil consumption - and I think the Trooper has the same 3.6l V6?

Anyway, I dig the Isuzus, good find.

Momrocks

Adventurer
I want a rig i can keep for a LONG time,but i'm worried about raising an "orphan".Should i be???

No, you should not be worried. You got a rig with less than 100K for $500. Keep it (for a LONG time)

You're doing the right thing by cleaning up the little nagging maintenance items. I considered a Trooper a couple of years ago when I was looking for a hobby rig. I liked them for the reasons you cited. I decided against a Trooper because the majority I looked at had a real thirst for oil, a common 3.2l and 3.5l trait it seems. Price and "over the counter" availability of routine parts at the local Auto Parts was a detracter too. If I had found one in the condition of yours for $500 or even three times that, I would have pulled the trigger without regret. Don't look at weak after market support as a negative (it's probably a blessing). What kind of bolt ons does one really need? You intend to DD this, you will get to the woods and back and to work Monday morning for years to come. Congrats on a good buy.

Last edited:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I had a '98 Trooper and I loved it. It was a great truck and never let me down. Watch your oil consumption. The 3.5 likes to use oil. Other than that, drive it, wheel, it and mod it. You don't need much. Very capable in stock form. Put 32's on it and then when you have time ond money, mild lift. And the G80 works really well too.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Hi everybody,just joined this great site after much lurking!I'm looking to build(slowly)a good solid DD/expedition machine.I STOLE this '98 Trooper from the original owner w/94K for $500-.

Fixed it for ya.

I want a rig i can keep for a LONG time,but i'm worried about raising an "orphan".Should i be???Here's a pic(on jackstands)

Depends what you mean by orphan. If you mean a vehicle that Isuzu abandoned, yes, it is. If you mean a vehicle that you can't get parts for, so far it is not an issue. It also depends what you call a long time. I would expect parts to be available for the next 5-10 years without much difficulty, both new and used. Beyond that it's hard to say. There is a lot of good info at planetisuzoo.com.

meathead

We had a '99 Trooper and, except for the gas mileage, loved it. They are known to like too sip oil. So long as I changed oil at 3000 miles, never used any. Now if it went over 3000, it chugged it down! They have tons of interior room, ride like a big heavy car, and have pretty good power. The TOD system was great for the wife. Back seat was way easier to get in and out of then the couple of Nissans I've had. You may find that all you realy need may be a very mild lift to fit tires. These things are pretty well set up outa the box. Weld up your own sliders and you should be good. I'd trade this 02 Pathfinder I'm driving for the 99 Trooper back anytime.

THEPATRIOT

Here's a few pic.'s of the frame so far.I'm a fanatic when it comes to rustproofing my chassis!Rust convertor,Rust Oleum paint and undercoating.(i joined planetisuzoo also).

Attachments

• frme.jpg
    frme.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 97
  • frme 2.jpg
    frme 2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 82

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Keep at'er mate, you've got a great deal there. $500 for that truck could be considered theft eh ;) THose are great trucks that are real sleepers and hardly get teh recognition they deserve. Good on ya for sticking with it and working on the frame like you are. This truck will last you for some time if you keep at it like that. Congrats.

Cheers

Dave

philndz

Adventurer
Thats a great truck you have there. I've got a dark red 2000 Trooper that you've probably seen in the photo-thread. Just check and top-off your oil RELIGIOUSLY and it'll go forever.

I put 285-75-16 tires on my truck before I got around to lifting it. On the big tires, I could turn at full steering-lock with no rubbing. You wouldn't want to hit the trails w/o the lift, but around town for a couple of weeks while I waited for the springs and shocks to come in from Independent4x.com it was just fine. I work for Isuzu, PM me if you have any questions, or need any parts....I may be able to help you out.

gfiero

Adventurer
I had a 99 and loved it. I built a sleeping platform in it, lifted it on OME, bigger tires and manual hubs. The TOD won a few bets for me, used to climb a hill near Crestline with it and then challenge others to do it, watched a LR and a FJ62 get stuck on the same day.

Sold it due to roof damage, forgot I had my roof rack on it and drove into a parking structure....oops!

Keep it, you'll have more money to invest in quality camping gear and gas then buying a new car, also you won't loose any sleep over nature's pinstripping.

Get out and enjoy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne