Random RIG Shots

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date

Rob O

Adventurer
Guess this could go in a number of different threads ... but I'll stick it here for now. :)

3 exposure HDR (+/- 2EV) processed and tone mapped in dphdr with final processing in PS CS3. Processed look of the final image was intention; I wasn't trying to make the photo "realistic" so much as "stylistic."

nwoods

Expedition Leader
3 exposure HDR (+/- 2EV) processed and tone mapped in dphdr with final processing in PS CS3. Processed look of the final image was intention; I wasn't trying to make the photo "realistic" so much as "stylistic."

Always impressive Rob. I think a before and after would be cool. Did you shoot all three exposures, or just tweak one source image in RAW?

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Guess this could go in a number of different threads ... but I'll stick it here for now. :)

I wish I could do this.

Aaron

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Looks commercially I can just see Toyota Tacoma bla bla bla. I wish I could do that with paint shop. But shyt aint that cool. I can do BW sepia and someother weird things.

Aaron

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Always impressive Rob. I think a before and after would be cool. Did you shoot all three exposures, or just tweak one source image in RAW?

Rob,

Nice work!

If you would not mind, I also would like to see the raw files for some of the images that you have been posting.

d0va

Observer
here are my random shots of the T

top4.jpg

click to see images too big
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd273/d0va/hdr/topsa.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd273/d0va/hdr/consite2.jpg
consite3.jpg

DSC_3019_7_8.jpg

DSC_2051_49_50.jpg

Rob O

Adventurer

Thanks Nathan. It is in fact 3 bracketed exposures (I wish Canon would allow 5 exposures like some Nikons!). The baseline image used a roughly average exposure metering -- I measured the sky, the ground and the truck's paint then split the difference (shot in Manual mode) -- then auto bracketing set to +/- 2EV took care of the others. I set each exposure to the same white balance/color temp in ACR (leaving all other RAW conversion settings at the default) and saved each as a TIF file, which I then used to process in dphdr. After generating the HDR and tone mapping it, I saved as a TIF and went back to CS3 for final post processing (curves, contrast, color, sat, spot editing (dodge/burn), etc. Probably 30 minutes total processing time.

I wish I could do this.

Heh ... thanks Aaron. :)

I don't understand any of what he did, but I like the results!

lol. That's okay ... if you did you'd probably just say I use Photoshop as a crutch and that I should be getting good photos straight from the camera versus through software. ;-)

Rob,

Nice work!

If you would not mind, I also would like to see the raw files for some of the images that you have been posting.

Thanks Nathanael. I will post up at least the baseline (0 EV) image later, if not all three.

Threadjacking for a second, here's another HDR I did the same afternoon (it's actually what I was shooting before turning the camera on my truck) and the baseline (0 EV) original straight from the camera. This one is 5-exposures (+/- 2EV), again metering the baseline from an average exposure reading. The HDR version is intentionally stylistic -- i.e., I didn't process it to look "real", but rather wanted the HDR look because I thought it fitting for the subject in addition to be a truly high dynamic range scene (at least 8 stops of light).

ETA:

Here's a quick animated gif I threw together which shows the 3 exposures then final HDR. I can post 'em up individually, and bigger, if anyone really cares. :)

_MG_2952_3exp.gif

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Man that is just amazing. I need to play with that more. Using Adobe Bridge, there is a built in HDR processor that uses the PhotoShop engine. Have you played with that? Just wondering if the $600 software I already own can get close enough to the $55 software you are playing with :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke