My new to me 97 f350 crew cab

EricRichards

My steps

Sorry took so long to get pictures of them but these are the steps.

Attachments

• Truck1.jpg
    Truck1.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 701
  • Truck2.jpg
    Truck2.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Truck3.jpg
    Truck3.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 81

chet

island Explorer
nice truck! Where on the island are you? Having owned a few ford trucks that vintage the first time you lay under the back in the mud and dirt to try a free a rusted spare tire mount you will realize why its on the front! treat that e4od to a fluid flush as well.

strider3700

Adventurer
I'm in nanaimo.
The previous owner mentioned fighting the tire out in the mud as why it was on the front of the truck. I won't have a camper so the spare isfloating in the bed for now. It will most likely stay there on a proper mount to keep it standing against the side.

I've got to do the transmission and power steering fluid soonish. did an oil change already and it was pretty black.

Eric thanks for the side bar pictures. I've gone a different route and went with carr steps. not overly expensive and should be relatively easy to install.

The new tires have added enough extra height I really need to get the carr steps installed. The parts shop screwed up and didn't get me the correct ones for the 97, they got me 99-09 ones instead. When they brought in replacements they brought in the super step which is twice as long and far more expensive. they gave me a hell of a discount so I took them anyways. I'll post pictures when I get them on the truck.

strider3700

Adventurer
Wow it's been awhile since I updated anything about the truck. I've spent the last year just getting things sorted out and working at a point that it's in relatively good shape for it's age.

First thing up was a complete brake job and I mean complete. Everything past the hard lines was replaced. Both e-brake cables were replaced. the drums, rotors, calipers,.... everything. That little change along netted me 2 mpg or 20% improvement. The old ones were stuck partially on. Also had a ball joint done. I wasn't happy about needing to replace all that but it was a huge improvement in safety and performance.

Next I added a very used fiberglass canopy. It keeps things dry but really points out how out of shape my box is.

And then I wired up a brake controller and 7 pin plug getting ready to buy a trailer.

And most recently I took some advice on the board and got a set of bilstein 4600's which are the HD's. Holy crap is that an improvement. The first 10 or so km I wasn't super impressed but after they got that little bit broken in it's amazingly better. I shouldn't be too shocked though the old ones were probably original. 1 of the old rears doesn't reextend when I compressed it. the other compressed far easier then the new ones. On the front both extend but take a couple of minutes to get back out after compressing. 1 of them gurgles and makes popping sounds when you move it.

I also added a skyjacker 7100 steering stabilizer. Coupled with the shocks and new tires travel is now wonderful. I can't wait to find a dirt road to really feel how the new setup works.

BCHauler

Adventurer
Great trucks. I was looking for one set up exactly like yours (crewcab, 5.8, e40d, 4x4) last month after my 94 was written off on the Tofino highway. They are hard to find in our area, especially with the 351, and all of them are pretty pricey. I find the diesels often command >$10 grand.

Looking forward to seeing more pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz