Mounting RTT over the cab on Yak bars

IggyB

Adventurer
I've had my Hannibal RTT mounted on a custom rack over the bed for the past 3 years. But I just put the canopy back on the truck since enclosed bed space is a priority once again. I don't think the canopy will take the weight without additional internal support, so that's out as a mounting spot for RTT.

The truck is a 2000 Nissan Frontier crew cab, with a manual pop up factory sunroof. I have the Yakima Q-towers and Q-clips along with the cross bars.

I am a little concerned with mounting the RTT over the cab. That's 110 pounds of RTT + 250 pounds of my hind quarters, sleeping bag, 12 gauge and such.

Should I worry? Truck will be mobile with 110 pounds and stationary with 360 pounds. 110 lb should be no problem but 360lb ? Will it cave the roof in?

What do you think?

KG6BWS

Explorer
just noticed this thread. id reccommend against it. i used the same setup on my 04 taco dc with my mombasa tent. the bars/roof held the just fine. no flexing, no dents, slept in it with no problems. the reason i changed it is that the qtowers dont hold real tight, so when id go offroading the tent would shake its way back and forth. ive got a nice gouge now where each clip rubbed on the roof. hasnt rubbed a hole yet, but if i had left it like that it wouldnt have been long before a hole appeared. the worst one was my coyote flats trip over labor day weekend. tent moved about 6 or so inches forward over the weekend.

i just put my shell back on my truck also and built a rack to go outside the shell (contractor style) to hold the tent. so far its working great. if you really want it on your roof id try to figure a way to mount very solid....no yakima or thule style bars. fab something up that will not allow the tent to move around at all.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Iggy,

I've had no issues with my canopy mounted Yakima crossbars and my tent it a heavy 1600 t-top. Lots of off-road miles too. I added a third crossbar for extra stability and there are no problems. No canopy cracking either.

Pete

IggyB

Adventurer
Pete,

Are your bars mounted to the top of the canopy or to the sides above the windows?

IggyB

Adventurer
Thank you, it took a while to find that pic after seeing it years ago.

Guess I'll call a buddy of mine and we'll mount the tent on the canopy tomorrow :victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior