Oh, to never want for fridge space again...

BMAN

Adventurer
So, over the past year or so I have parused Craigslist and other online want ads on a semi-regular basis always on the lookout for a great deal. I have purchased 3 Norcold fridges off my local Craigslist all of the older TecII models but in good shape and working. There were 2 30qt models and a 40qt model all purchased for under $350. The 40 qt model now belongs to my friend John and I have kept the 2 30 qt models. One of these 30qt coolers is now equipt with a TwoZone which nearly doubled my capacity. This was a great addition but it seems that my family of 5 can quickly push even this expanded versions available cooling space on a 3 day campout.

So, as it goes, I've benn watching CL again and just happened upon what may be exactly what we've been looking for in terms of long excursion food storage. An 86qt EdgeStar just fell in my lap for a VERY good price. The add was on it's last day before expiring and I couldn't believe that it was still available at the advertised price of $399. Of course me being the miser that I am I sent a quick email asking if the cooler was still available and a much lower offer, figuring that I likely couldn't go wrong based on the quick reading that I did here about Expo member's experiences with this new brand. To my surprise after a 3 day wait I received a response from the seller that the cooler was indeed still available and a slightly higher counter offer. I of course jumped and headed over to pick it up.

HOLY CRAP this thing is huge!! I will have to get pics up to show the true size but damn... we will never suffer from needing more fridge space EVER again. Now I need to get to building my custom trailer just to haul this bad boy around.

I just wanted to stop in and say thank you to the Portal members who've gone before me and posted their experiences with these products as it helped me make what I believe to be the correct informed decision.

08whitex

Adventurer
I have used my Edgestar for almost a year now. I only had one problem which was an easily fixed loose connection after 30 miles of washboard roads. I have been more then pleased with mine :victory:

BMAN

Adventurer
same here mine has been great, congrats bman, but dang thats a big cooler.

You should see this thing Clay. It's Gi-friggin-normous! I'm going to hafta re-design my trailer build just to haul it. LOL.

Really though it is big but will work out pretty well for us. It will take up less space than the two 30qt norcolds and use less power. I will deffinately need to design some type of slideout for it though as the lid is equally large.

DWphoto

Adventurer
You should see this thing Clay. It's Gi-friggin-normous! I'm going to hafta re-design my trailer build just to haul it. LOL.

Really though it is big but will work out pretty well for us. It will take up less space than the two 30qt norcolds and use less power. I will deffinately need to design some type of slideout for it though as the lid is equally large.

I read your thread a few days ago. Went on craigslist scored a "Vintage" norcold for $60! (Not sure of size yet I pick it up in about an hour looks like a 30 or 45) the guy says it still works great has 12v plug!

How are the older norcolds on power? I have a dual battery set up in the rover. Hoping it won't drain the batteries down too much over night.

Thanks for the suggestion!

E

BMAN

Adventurer
DWphoto,

The only difference between the 30 and 40qt models in the tecII series is the height. $60 is a score even if you never use it in the rig and only use it in the garage for a beer cooler. They drain a fair amount more than your newer versions but they are not too bad. I ran mine on my 60 for 24hours straight on full freeze without running the engine and woke up needing a jump. Don't let that scare you off though as I also ran the DVD player for the kids (through the trucks stereo system) and I believe I may have a parasitic drain somewhere in the system.

DWphoto

Adventurer
DWphoto,

The only difference between the 30 and 40qt models in the tecII series is the height. $60 is a score even if you never use it in the rig and only use it in the garage for a beer cooler. They drain a fair amount more than your newer versions but they are not too bad. I ran mine on my 60 for 24hours straight on full freeze without running the engine and woke up needing a jump. Don't let that scare you off though as I also ran the DVD player for the kids (through the trucks stereo system) and I believe I may have a parasitic drain somewhere in the system.

Thanks BMAN.

Im thinking about picking up the transit bag and dual zone for it to pick up a little extra room.

E

EJAZ

I had an edgestar in the camping trailer that I recently sold, and I loved it. A really great product for the $$.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i'll have to check it out but ive seen the 60qt and they are big so i can only imagine. i have a 45 qt and keep thinking maybe i want the next size smaller actually.

BMAN

Adventurer
i'll have to check it out but ive seen the 60qt and they are big so i can only imagine. i have a 45 qt and keep thinking maybe i want the next size smaller actually.

I'll swap ya for my other 30qt norcold. It's all old and stickered up but a runner.

I'll bring them out to the next meet if ya wanna come out and have a gander.

DWphoto

Adventurer
picked up the fridge the other day...

I think its a little more old school than your 30qt

take a look at this bad boy

16 cans and room for food.

3982804484_0d62f66e94_b.jpg

3982805022_f7d1411830_b.jpg

3982805684_b8ed4799a4_b.jpg

BMAN

Adventurer
Wow,

That's probably the oldest itteration of a fridge freeze that I've seen so far. Pretty sweet though. Does she freeze? If so it was worth every penny.

DWphoto

Adventurer
Wow,

That's probably the oldest itteration of a fridge freeze that I've seen so far. Pretty sweet though. Does she freeze? If so it was worth every penny.

oh yes. I forgot to add that.

Froze 6 Gatorade overnight.

E

BMAN

Adventurer
There should be a tag on there with rough numbers for the amp draw and such. What's it rated at?

Looks like a score for $60 none the less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94