"The Oasis of my Soul"... a Lifelong Journey on the road...

beemerchef

Explorer
i-xZQ6frD.jpg

Making a Home in Big Bend... Texas that is.

Where do I begin? as "The Oasis", here, once again works its magic in the center of this Texas Desert.

As the years have gone by on the road, the thought of the ones ahead of us has made its mark. Some day we will need a Home, it is inevitable, as a good Friend of mine wrote me. Where else could it be but here?

Sure, summers are hot [but dry] and the decision to have a roof here has turned into a reality. A 25 x 40 shelter, a little camper right next to a 10 x 14 prefab cabin. Much solar, 4000 gallons of water catchment, a powerful generator, some sort of a basic outdoor kitchen, [meaning just a long table!], better Internet, it is all taking shape all in photos in a couple previous entries in our Journal.

Now is however the time to walk away from it and once again balance out our time between Nature and those components that have been going up. I am realizing that it could be endless as the days here within this space which more than anything else feels as an Island for us. One that can provide all our needs present and future.

Big Bend Park provided its magic the other day. A breather from shoveling dirt or nailing some boards and wiring this and that.

I feel as this winter is going to fly by, lets see how much heat we can handle when Spring returns. Colorado is never too far!

Enjoy the photos. It is Life "off the grid".

Happy "Thanksgiving" day.

Till next time.

Stay well.

Ara and Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com The Journal and Book "Freedom on Both Ends of the Leash"

9th Year, the Stars, living under them…

www.beemerchef.smugmug.com The Photos

beemerchef

Explorer
i-kn5NMK8.jpg

Coming to terms with the future. Big Bend. TX

I feel as I have traded "Old Faithful" for a skill saw, drill, jigsaw, plywood, shovel, rake, you name it! And I have part time. Undertaking a permanent [a hard word to pronounce!] home for the future is a task I am discovering will take more time than I thought. Especially while doing most of it myself having never done such work before. I have the utmost respect for carpenters lately! That is an art I do not possess or have any experience with.

Yet, we manage to get away within these three million acres which constantly stare at us, call our name while the weather is still perfect meaning a short sleeve T shirt is the norm. The stress of finishing it all is behind me, it will get done when it gets done. The discoveries on those roads traveled dozens of times are still present as even Terlingua offers new sights, new stores and people passing by or moving in. A donut shop open on the weekends! That is big for here... and good!

Spirit continues to roam around freely. This space is also his paradise where there is no leash. We walk the land seeing the changes after the storms, new paths, vegetation dying from the past summer heat and the ones thriving from the recent rains. It is a constant change on this stage we discovered in years past. Who would have ever known this would change from a home base to some day where we will rest when this body gets too tired from roaming around this huge country we live in. I don't have to come to terms with that notion, not yet. I do think however I am doing the right thing.

I am also still working on our Photo Coffee Table Book. Probably will be another couple months until that one is ready, that task also turns out not to be as easy as I thought. In the meantime "Freedom on Both Ends of the Leash" is still available on our Journal, on Amazon and in all electronic formats.

Enjoy and stay well. Happy upcoming Holidays... just in case we do not make it back here before.

Till next time.

Stay well.

Ara and Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com The Journal and Book "Freedom on Both Ends of the Leash"

photo_i

Explorer
I am also still working on our Photo Coffee Table Book. Probably will be another couple months until that one is ready, that task also turns out not to be as easy as I thought. In the meantime "Freedom on Both Ends of the Leash" is still available on our Journal, on Amazon and in all electronic formats.

Keep us posted about that coffee table book! Would love to have it, Ara-jan! :)

beemerchef

Explorer
I think you are doing the right thing too,every dog needs a home to bury his bone.
Good luck with the carpentry.

Thank You... I will need a luck of luck!!!

i-THTZ3Zx.jpg

Intermission in Life. TX

We both have been looking for a break, an intermission of some sort but not one in this fashion. A violent ice storm created the worse black out these three million acres have ever experienced when 30 electric poles went down. No fuel, no propane, no phone service, not even the SAT phone working for some odd reason, and of course no Internet. The lack of power does not phase us as we are on a solar system, the Internet? well, that can wait... right?

Yesterday as some power did come back in Alpine and the perfect weather was back we took the 120 mile round trip, my curiosity towards these pages I guess got the best of me while sitting at the local Library. The world is still spinning, nothing too important has happened. It was a great ride though.

We did manage to get into the Park before the storm hit, riding being a need more than anything else, and we found ourselves present at Panther Junction at the right time while the iced fog combined with winds was sculpting Nature. What a sight! With plenty of fuel as always carrying an extra five gallons reserve it was one of our best days in the Park. A cold one!

Everyone here is slowly getting back on their feet. The Internet addicts are again normally breathing, blood pressure back to normal. Not so lucky here as we depend on a tower and that little red light is still not on. We will probably ride to our neighbors tomorrow to post this as more photos are in our Journal.

And by the way "Happy New Year".

Till next time.

Stay well.

Ara and Spirit

NitroExpress

Observer
IMG_1782.jpg

Hi There - I've followed your thread for some time, but was inspired to post when I saw your last photo. I have land at Terlingua ranch in the Solitario and was there from Dec 26th to Jan 3rd, through the storm. The Chisos were really awesome the day I snapped a photo from the same place you took yours. I was expecting to get to the basin and find it really cold, instead it was much warmer up top and quite pleasant.

Regards,
Craig

NitroExpress

Observer
A few more pics..

Couple more photos of the Chisos - Big Bend National Park.

Attachments

• IMG_1803.jpg
    IMG_1803.jpg
    513.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1779.jpg
    IMG_1779.jpg
    519.9 KB · Views: 7

beemerchef

Explorer
Couple more photos of the Chisos - Big Bend National Park.

Nice! Are you here?

i-TH32qSS-M.jpg

Winter this time around seems to be lingering forever or is it this construction while "it" feeling so against the grain of our Journey. Was it the wrong time? Trying to come to terms with it.

We already had "that one day of snow", the one day that transforms this desert into a surreal landscape yet does not last long, about half a day.

A couple visitors as Big Bend is increasingly putting its name on the map arousing the curiosity of many while they themselves discover the beautiful roads which surrounds us mixed in with much hiking. There is even a donut shop now open on Sundays in Terlingua! How about that for progress...

Between painting, trimming and mostly waiting for material to arrive we also continue ourselves enjoying the roads. River Rd was one of them the other day. Many photos and a new video on our Journal.

This intermission is a long one. Are we getting close to explore further? I sure hope so as it seems such aspect is now ingrained within us. It is amazing how one can get so close to Mother Nature no wanting to let her go.

It has been eleven years now since Lance is gone. That day was a rough one even if my tools are honed and sharpened to take on the emotions which never leave me, will never leave me.

Life goes on... It is what it is... Enough rambling.

Till next time.

Stay well.

Ara and Spirit

beemerchef

Explorer
i-CS87wWK-M.jpg

Open up your lens a bit wider... TX

Strange things happen in a Desert while away from it all. It is mainly called thinking! Not as bombs amidst an Urban Jungle, here silence prevails, one needs to be comfortable in their own skin... and mind.

Life moves on here at its own pace as at times I look at the calendar and conclude it is unwinding a bit too fast with not much time to waste especially as age catches up with me.

This intermission while securing a dwelling for future years seems to be a long one. I question myself often. How and why can someone so much likes (love!) living in a tent? The main aspect I figured out is simplicity and a close touch with Mother Nature. Nothing like it.

The weather this winter has almost daily been a gift. Sometimes even a bit too warm to our liking. Good rains at times are providing our water, sunshine equals power. What more can I ask for combined with a solar oven, wood and multi fuel stove to cook with? Nothing...

We are only in February. The Northern roads will have to wait a bit longer!

Till next time.

Stay well.

Ara and Spirit

beemerchef

Explorer
Nice beard, Ara-jan! :)

Shaved now!!! Too hot...

i-dwHSGcj.jpg

BBNP, how it all came about. TX
March 2nd, 2015

Still in a holding pattern here in Big Bend, Texas, I always wanted to know how these beautiful geological patterns had come about. I felt as one needs to know as such when some day this will be Home. Some day!

I coupled my reading with a beautiful day in the Park. Yesterday was what I call "perfection" including the clouds playing incessantly, very few cars, the perfect breeze and temperature. Even Spirit had a bigger than usual smile on his face. We could not be more fortunate than being here.

How all this came about is a long story which I abbreviated in our Journal mixed in with black and white photos which I felt was appropriate for the occasion. I don't think they had color cameras 450 million years ago!

I feel as once one knows a bit more about the past of a space they frequent occasionally, there is a better appreciation towards the present that faces us. It works for me.

Enjoy...

Till next time.

Stay well.

Ara and Spirit

beemerchef

Explorer
i-5hM6RXq.jpg

Good Days in Big Bend, Texas.

Sometimes throughout the year moments reach a higher level of perfection all around. The weather, the landscape, the mental and physical intermission within a more than welcoming space. Those are it right now.

It is at the same time the occasion to re-align a Journey, re-organize while depending on others and growing a much needed patience towards "things" which need to be taking care of, mastering such patience as unfortunately few follow through their spoken words.

Such times has given me a chance to learn more about this area and write about it as its geology and some of Big Bend's History. It is rich in past culture as much as it is in its formation going back millions of years ago.

We have had pleasant visitors, we have cooked a lot, as well as much chatting and even star gazing throughout the nights here so dark and unpolluted from urban lights.

It is definitely Spring and I keep asking locals if they have ever seen the grounds so green and covered with yellow flowers blooming everywhere. They have never. All browns were fine, green and yellows are even better. It is a daily surprising change that has taken place.

Spring break is over in this State, the crowds lingering for the past two weeks have left, it is again "ours". Big Bend is definitely on the map now, an area I myself had never heard of only a few years ago.

Enjoy the few past entries and their many photos

Till next time.

Stay well.

Ara and Spirit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier