looking to buy an SMB, need help

kitebaja

I live in AZ and kite board in Baja and mainland Mexico. I found the two SMBs for sale near my home. They look like they would be great for Kiting and camping on the beach. I was looking for some help on the application and values. Here are the links for the rigs:

http://www.desertautoplex.com/cgi-bin/showroom.cgi?mode=show&id=404302&d_id=1080

http://www.desertautoplex.com/cgi-bin/showroom0.cgi?mode=show&id=403543&d_id=108

any help with valuation and my application would be really appreciated.
thanks, in advance

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
for what its worth i bid it upto $46k site unseen on ebay yesterday.. they hold their value very well. i think that one is worth $55k if its as clean as it looks. any more than that and there are some nicer ones on the SMB site used for sale.

Chris

Adventurer
I think Trailmonkey is right on with the figures.

For your app, you might think about what fits your equipment better the extended length 'EB' or just the regular length 'E'

The tan one is listed as E350 however is an extended EB. Other items that might interest you as far as value is electric vs. manual penthouse top. And depending on how long you plan to stay in it, fresh water tank size.

If you plan on taking it in hard to get places then you might think about the need for lockers and full floating axel.

There are some real good pricing on used ones right now. Be sure to check around..........Sportsmobile site has some,, run all the searches you can think of.

Good luck.....

kitebaja

thanks, no i will visit the site. one last question, how does the SMB perform in soft sand. This is a big heavy rig. If i need to drive on the beach for several miles in sand, do you think i will have issues?

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
The 6.0L engine in all the E350's SMB West builds are perfectly fine running Mexico diesel as per Ford and SMB West.
Alan the owner and I spent alot of time talking about this before I choose to go diesel, he has taken his SMB down there and Overland Journal did a drive down south.

jammyauto

Adventurer
Lance, could you give a little more specifics? Everything I find from ford says that only ultralow sulfer diesel should be run. As we know this is not available in mexico. I'd like to know the "nuts&bolts" explanation on this. My '05 i fine but as I consider possible replacements for my SMB this is an issue.

1leglance

Call Alan at SMB West
Sportsmobile West Inc
3631 S Bagley Ave Fresno CA 93725
559.233.8267 Fax 559.486.8267
info@sportsmobile.com

Talk with him about the fuel thing so I don't say anything wrong...you can mention I gave you the info if you want.

From what I understand there is no change Ford made to the engines that would preclude use of the fuel in Mexico other than placing a sticker on the fuel door :)
Many people including Alan have run there 6L engines on Mex fuel without problems as per dieselstop.com and the powerstroke forum also.

As a side note as of Dec there won't be any more diesel vans from Ford unless something new happens. Alan says they plan to buy as many as they can afford to stock up on since the diesel is a very high percentage of their 4wd sales.

1leglance

We are ONLY talking about the 2008/2009 diesel in the vans...I am not saying anything about any other engine.
Please call Alan at Sportsmobile West using the info I posted above to get the word from him. It is a quick call and then you can make up your mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles