Panoramic Shots

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Here's one from yesterday...teaching camera controls outside right before it started to snow.

Grade-VIII-camera-controls-pano.jpg

That is uber impressive! Did you pan while firing the shutter quickly? This shot(s) outstanding. I'm still scratching my head as to how you managed this...

fangars

Adventurer
Yeah, that is pretty sweet. One of the few examples of HDR that actually works nicely IMO. Well done indeed! :victory:

Not HDR, that image is blended by hand using layer masks and fuzzy brush.
There is a gaussian blur overlay kicking up the contrast and saturation, this is also blended in by hand only where and how much I think improves the image.

HDR images tend to destroy shadows and contrast, and leave halos around objects, I actually like shadows and contrast in my images.

I use HUGIN to do my stitching, GIMP to do the final blending.

Here are a couple from Cortez Colorado looking up at Mesa Verde taken from the same spot, first in March of 2006 and second in September of 2006.
2788114341_d450808a1e_b.jpg

3004931563_6326f8a112_b.jpg

Michael Slade

Untitled
That is uber impressive! Did you pan while firing the shutter quickly? This shot(s) outstanding. I'm still scratching my head as to how you managed this...

Here's the shot prior to stitching. Six individual shots. I have been doing some very large panoramas out on the Great Salt Lake like this for the past two years or so. I have since given up digital panoramas, and digital photography in general now that I have my 4x10 and 8x20 film cameras. I was doing platinum prints with my 12th graders today. Mmmmmm....platinum!

But, I still like to play with the little digital camera and put together fun little digi-panos like this one.

Click for big photo. When you get to the link, click on the image to zoom-in.

Last edited:

fangars

Adventurer
Locations for the last two panos, if you head South from Safford, once you get to the 10 park and look North, thats the daylight shot. The early morning shot is just north of the Chiricahuas.

This next one shows why you should use a tripod if at all possible.
Coolidge Dam over the Gila River.
3155419202_892f72758f_b.jpg

From the reservoir side.
3150597841_f5efd638c3_b.jpg

Photog

Explorer
Manual mode and no polarizer is best, for consistant lighting across the series of images that are stitched together. Color and brightness variations in the sky are dificult to clean up, if you are using any type of Automatic Mode.

Robthebrit

Explorer
Here is one of Boulder and the flatirons, auto stitched with my own software..

Its not fast but it does a good job, its better than auto stitch because it doesn't assume an infinite projection so handles near objects as well as far objects.

Attachments

• boulder_pano.jpg
    boulder_pano.jpg
    872.1 KB · Views: 105

larryt

Observer
More than 180 degree view from our campsite in Monache Meadows a few weeks ago. A dozen or so images were stitched together, then converted in Silver Efex.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 3928891141_d8a3893b24_b.jpg
    3928891141_d8a3893b24_b.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 714

fangars

Adventurer
This is from the camp ground at Chaco Canyon.
An experimentation on just how much could I get away with painting in the blanks with a fuzzy brush and clone tool.

Before
2678144165_9916fb74df_b.jpg

After
2678137849_d545d51b4b_b.jpg

I could have done much better stealing some cloud from another image, would have looked a lot less fake had I done it right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles