Panoramic Shots

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I think there is another important aspect to consider with Panoramic images (sorry, pun intended!). The more effective pano's to view, at least on the web in screen resolutions under 1900px wide, is that photos that end up being much wider than 1900 just get so skinny and small as to loose visual value, impact, and interest.

For example, my origional pano that I posted is 12575 x 1825. Cool! But when presented for the web, it is displayed at 1600x232, and looks too small to be of any interest:
728755593_8CEsY-X3-1.jpg

I think the real art of M.Slade's completely engaging images, even of mundane items, is that they are not too wide, and retain a sense of propotion that works well for the screen format we are sharing. So taking a lesson in that, I cropped my pano way way WAY down, to this 1600x650 image, and think it reads much better. As always, the art in the pano is in the framing & composition as much as the subject.
729356585_2W9pR-X3.jpg

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Thank you for posting that Michael. Now, do mind if I ask a very dumb question? Why are so many of your crèche photos shot as panos? Are you contrained by lens options? I don't understand what the pano delivers in liue of a slightly wider lens?

Michael Slade

Untitled
A lot of it has to do with perspective.

I want to be a certain distance from the subject and don't want to move backwards either with my feet or with the lens. There are also other times when I can't take any steps backward, or if I do I ruin the placement of the subject within the frame. So, to get the wide-ness I want I choose to shoot it with a pano. Also, I am shooting most of those on a little Canon G9 point-n-shoot and can't go any wider.

This year I'll be shooting them with my G11, possibly with my D2x and maybe if there's a special one I'll shoot it on 4x10 or 8x20 film...but those would have to be pretty special ones or fabulous light or a combination of the two things.

Michael Slade

Untitled
Not sure if this falls under the category of 'expedition', but it certainly was a trip.

Here's a pano I shot last night at the school's winter formal.

dancehallpano2.jpg

Lesson learned: I should have taken more time to focus last night. I would have liked to have had the dishes in the foreground sharp. The exposures were 6 seconds long at f/4.5. I should have gone for more depth and just drug the shutter more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke