any experience with BFG commerical TA traction tires?

strider3700

Adventurer
my new F-350 is in bad need of tires. I've had toyo m-55's recommended but they are anything but cheap and I need 5 of them. It looks like costco can get me 5 BFG commercial TA tractions mounted and out the door for under $1200 where as I can't get 4 m-55's for that. For that $1200 I get all of the costco benefits, 5 year road hazard warranty life time rotating, balancing...

I'll be doing 90% on road with the 10% off road being mostly gravel roads, nothing too hardcore it is a long box crew cab afterall. We get a couple of days of snow around here but due to possible upcoming law changes I'd like to make sure anything I get meets the canadian snow rating ( snowflake on a mountain symbol)

I can't seem to get a lot of reviews on the traction TA's and there are just a couple of mentions of them on here.

Anyone have an opinion?

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
We run them on our '89 Dodge Cummins and they're a good tire. The truck was used as a logging crew rig so it was running the highways and pushing down logging and skid roads. Traction was good in all conditions including snow and they wear well. Nothing fancy but they got the job done.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Comercial TA is a cheaper economical tire for fleet use. They are OK but nicer tires are worth the money.

michaelgroves

Explorer
Wasn't this the tyre that supposedly "replaced" the Trac-Edge?

The BFG Trac-Edge was a superb tyre, and if they still made them, they'd be my first choice (esp if they introduced them in 285/55-16, which never was an option, unfortunately).

jeff@work

Adventurer
I just put a set of those on my van 2 weeks ago. I had been looking for an aggressive all terrain that had the snowflake symbol and wouldn't bankrupt me. So far I'm very happy with them. They're pretty quiet... depending on the road surface i can sometimes hear a faint hum but mostly i just hear the wind noise. They're "softer" than my previous tires, mickey thompson mtz. By this i mean i can notice a little less stiffness in turns, over bumps, on washboard, etc... my van rode like a tank so for me this is a plus. They are rock magnets... the tread loves to pick up little rocks. Hmm... i think that's about all i have for now... so far they've just been used for about 1500 miles for a road trip of mostly highway with a few dirt roads to get out to my campsites.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
We use these on the front of our desert racing car. Never have been able to put a hole through them. We've ripped them off the bead, but still never had a rip or puncture. If they sold them in 255/85 I'd try a pair on my 4runner.

No worthwhile experience here, but just in case anyone cares I too had great experience with the TracEdge and wouldn't hesitate to put a set of 255/85 Commercial TA's on the 109 if they were available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz