Interview with Sportsmobile West Owner Alan Feld

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Sportsmobiles may be the ultimate adventure vehicle for people who go places to do things beyond just sightseeing - you know, activities that require gear, or people who travel with the whole family.

At the 2009 Overland Expo, Alan Feld spent some time talking to us about the history of Sportsmobile and gave us a guided tour of a couple vehicles. Enjoy! You can watch the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XkUvYn-T0M or subscribe to the Overland Expo netcast on iTunes.

Cheers,
Bill Green/Sagen Media

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Very cool. Thanks for taking the time to produce that. I'll post it over at sportsmobileforum.com if it's not already there. Makes me miss our SMB!

kjp1969

Explorer
Bah, a few weeks before this was shot I stopped by the SMB factory in Fresno and he gave me a tour. Modest guy, he didn't tell me he was the owner.

dzzz

Bah, a few weeks before this was shot I stopped by the SMB factory in Fresno and he gave me a tour. Modest guy, he didn't tell me he was the owner.

Bah?

It's unfortunate for him that he has the time to give factory tours. He must worry about his business.

kjp1969

Explorer
Bah?

It's unfortunate for him that he has the time to give factory tours. He must worry about his business.

I don't know why you would say that or what you base it on- its not the impression that I got from spending 40 minutes talking with him. Rather, he seemed willing to take the time to discuss his work- he was genuinely passionate about his vans and very knowledgeable about all the systems.

Blackeye

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0008
I don't know why you would say that or what you base it on- its not the impression that I got from spending 40 minutes talking with him. Rather, he seemed willing to take the time to discuss his work- he was genuinely passionate about his vans and very knowledgeable about all the systems.

Well said Kevin,
I am very impressed with an operation that is run by someone who is extremely passionate and intimately knowledgeable about their product and the needs / desires of their customers. All it takes is one visit to the factory in Fresno, CA and you will see what I mean. From the top on down, everyone is really "into" their incredible product.
Blackeye

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Bah?

That is the funniest thing I have ever seen....
Do you really think that GM & Chrysler are better off because their top dogs fly to DC in corp jets instead of driving their own rigs? Alan daily drives a SMB.

Do you think if more car company top brass actually spent time with customers that we would not have better products...Alan wheels with his customers and enjoys talking to people.

You have a very interesting perspective to believe that the owner is better off staying distant from the end user. When I had my cigar shop I would never buy a cigar from a maker who didn't smoke or wouldn't sit down with a newbie and teach the art.
As a nurse the best doctors are often ones that have been patients or had close family as patients.

But hey you are allowed your ideas, the rest of us who own SMB's are very happy to have someone like Alan around.

dzzz

Wow, have any of you guys ever run a real business? He has fixed costs and probably debt and like everyone he doesn't know when the economy will turn around. There's plenty of good companies in his business who have gone out of business. My post had nothing to do with your good feelings about sportsmobile.
I hope when they're busy a salesman is the primary contact. At that time the owner is probably working a 10 hour day and needing to work 15 hours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz