4.88's and 33's a good combo?

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Recently in my miles of travel I began to ponder if there was something better out there. I have a donor motor and had planned on a SC but perhaps I should start at the other end first. It's not more power I need but better use of the power I have. I'm running 4.56 now with 295's (33.3"dia.) and while it's supposed to be stock with my 33's I have real problems climbing. Even last night in the hills of N. FL she just didn't want to maintain speed (I shed speed like a colander holds water). My question to those running 488's and 33's is #1 what is you actual fuel economy #2 how much quicker do you reach highway speed #3 would you do it again. This applies to those who have put many miles on the 488's both on road and off running auto tranny V-6 96-02. I've been told 5.29's are the new black but I don't feel like this fits my application. Now I Have a line on the 4.88's and they are saving me some money, I Have a front 3rd from a Tacoma with 4.88's already. I'm sure I can sell my loaded front third with 4.56's as well as the R&P out of the rear when I pull it. I will be pulling my rear 3rd and taking it to a shop to have the 4.88's installed there 1st so I can see if they help or hinder. Then I will swap my locker into the front third that (the one with the 4.88's already) and go from there if I'm happy with how tey turn out. Thoughts?

A

juicebox

Adventurer
Since you have the auto and it sounds like you do alot of freeway driving I would go with the 4.88s. I was pondering the 4.88s for my tacoma but I think 4.56's would be better as I have the 5spd and I don't want to be ringing it's neck going down the freeway with 33x10.50s (which are actually exactly 32" tall) I am thinking of stepping up to 255/85r16s soon, so I was thinking that 4.88s might be ok for that but I am sure 4.56s would get me back closer to stock.

It seems difficult to find any deal on 4.56s, all the deals I see are for 4.88s and thats why I wanted them, but I don't want to get them and regret not getting the 4.56s.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Well since the Taco and the 4Runner are not like for like it's a hard comparison. With that being said the only difference is the way the tranny shifts. The 4Runner is set up to shift slow and smooth "luxury shift if you will", where the Taco just shifts quick. My brother had a double cab and ran 4.88 with 35's for the longest time. It's all about how you want you setup. The whole debate about what works well with this and that totally depends on the application. 4.56 would be fine if I wasn't loaded with additional weight. I mean skids, bumper, winch, dual batt, fridge, tools, gear, more gear, full size spare (295) and so on. I need more pep between 45-85 and feel the 4.88's can offer that. I will know soon enough and be listing my 4.56 setup for sale. Keep in mine the rears are different btwn the 4Runner and the Taco. 4Runner has a 8" and the Taco has a 8.4" at least on the two models I've dealt with both of which were 02's.

A

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
You shouldn't compare, especially completely different trucks. When comparing the Taco to the 4runner are you taking into consideration ratios in the trannies, is one manual and on an auto, t-cases the same and engine power the same in both hp and torque? Have you taken weight of the trucks into consideration? There is to many variables, comparing is mute...

What do you use the truck for? What kind of offroading do you do? Why do are you losing power? Is this from going up in tire size? Meaning the power loss came after going up in tire size?

There are dozens of ways to set up a truck for many different uses. If you want the best of all worlds there is a lot more to it then big tires and diff gearing.

Having said that....I put a S/C on my 04 Taco. A year later we lifted it 2-3" and fit 285's. We haven't changed any gearing. I don't notice much of a power loss at all. The truck had and has gobs of power for anything I could need it for. I live at 6500' meaning the S/C performs worse than at sea level and I still have tons of power for passing. She passes really well actually and can accelerate up any grade on road or off. I can light them up on the pavement if I want....at sea level I notice a substational increase in power.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Ok let me bring in the reigns on this, if you do not have or have not had a 96-02 4Runner running under the power of a V-6 with 4.88 or 5.29 gearing and 33"-35" tires please keep it to yourself. As it was stated in a previous post to many variable, this can further complicate things.

A

Last edited:

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Having said that....I put a S/C on my 04 Taco. A year later we lifted it 2-3" and fit 285's. We haven't changed any gearing. I don't notice much of a power loss at all. The truck had and has gobs of power for anything I could need it for. I live at 6500' meaning the S/C performs worse than at sea level and I still have tons of power for passing. She passes really well actually and can accelerate up any grade on road or off. I can light them up on the pavement if I want....at sea level I notice a substational increase in power.

You likely have 4.10's or 4.30's stock and won't notice a huge difference with the 32's or 285's. Heres a link that will help you determine you axle ratio.
http://www.brian894x4.com/Gearratiosanddiffs.html

Aaron

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
4.88's were purchased earlier today and should arrive in a week, I will then have them swapped in and post my results.

Step 1. order 4.88's
Step 2. Steal underpants
Step 3. swap rear gears 1st (please keep in mind I have manual hubs and will not suffer any ill effects unless by my own hand with two ratio's on board).
Step 4. record data for rpm's, fuel, driving style, chicken bone readings, etc.
Step 5. sell 4.56 setup and keep 4.88 or buy 5.29 and start over.
Step 6. take over the world.

A

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Now that's actually a darn good deal! $1900 for a 5.7 sheesh I would almost be tempted to think it was to good to be true. And yes I could run the 4.10 gears again with no worries.

A

Bighead

Adventurer
4.88's were purchased earlier today and should arrive in a week, I will then have them swapped in and post my results.

Step 1. order 4.88's
Step 2. Steal underpants
Step 3. swap rear gears 1st (please keep in mind I have manual hubs and will not suffer any ill effects unless by my own hand with two ratio's on board).
Step 4. record data for rpm's, fuel, driving style, chicken bone readings, etc.
Step 5. sell 4.56 setup and keep 4.88 or buy 5.29 and start over.
Step 6. take over the world.

A

I will be curious to see what you think about them. FWIW, I was not a fan when I ran my 4.88s with my 33s. I don't have any numbers for you...that's why I didn't post anything here or on YT. I just thought the RPMs were too high at highway speeds and hills were killing me. Low speeds and around town they were great. Once I went to 35s I felt like everything was closer to "normal".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles